What to expect when check engine light comes on?

Asked by May 20, 2012 at 03:37 AM about the 2004 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

Recently bought  a used 2004 jaguar xtype, awd 3.0, it has 119,000km. It drove fine for the first month, a day later, after warming it up after work, 3blocks,2turns later, while speeding up to get onto freeway, it felt like it bogged out,and my check engine light came on, dont know if it has to do with my sport mode in transmission or, 1st to 2nd slipping, or maybe because my gas lid is kinda messed up? i have no clue,drove fine the whole month before,ive now taken it in for warranty check up,but curious so thought id ask on here. thanks..

1,585

it must be an oxygen sensor fault the most common problems in all cars

50

Also, sometimes after the light comes on, it goes into a get it home type of mode that is kinda like a safe mode on a computer. All in all, the geniuses at Jaguar strong arm you into going to the actual Jag dealer and shell out some money over something like Muhammad said, an oxygen sensor. When the problem could likely be fixed by a pep boys, you now have to go to the dealer and spend more.

455

If you are somewhat handy an O2 sensor (oxygen sensor) is an easy fix. I did have to buy the part from Jag dealer ($50-80) if memory serves me. It took me less than 5minutes to fix it. The Jaguar does have a "Limp home mode" that was mentioned previously. You can find some parts online as well as videos to walk you through the fix. Hope this helps =)

70

gave a friend a jump two times with y 2007 jaguar everysince then the ck engine light has been on the car runs fine but took it to the dealer to have it looked into and they said it was a cracked hose cost to replace 500 few days later it came on again and I was told this time it was a sensor but they could not tell which one leave it for a day or two cost 1000. Turned dow both car is parked in garage for winter any suggestions other then sell it.

455

How is the car running after the dealership visit? My check engine light every now & then comes on & there's nothing wrong with the car. Sometimes all it is is a fuse that needs changing so long as the car is running fine.

200

I own a 2003 Jag X-type. The engine malfunction light is on. It was 2 below zero this morning and still very cold when I returned home. My car works very well in summer but it is definitively not a car for winter. In the morning it makes a strange noise after I turn the engine on and until it gets warm (about 10 to 12 minutes depending on the temperature outside. Does anyone have experienced the same problem?

50

Palomeria, I am having the same problem with my 2004 X-type. I'm glad I found this forum and I'm not the only one. This cold weather is making my engine light show. It takes 5-10 seconds to start and it makes a weird sound as well. This is the first winter that it's parked outside all winter rather than inside of a somewhat heated garage. I took it to a shop and they said it was the mass air sensor and it was fixed however this morning the light came on again. It has to be the cold weather

200

Scott, if the problem was only the light I wouldn't give it much attention but the sound of the engine for about 5 to 6 minutes after turning it on made me worry about it. I took the car to a shop and scanned the code and it did not make any sense. So the mechanic completed the fuel on the start pump (it didn't have anything to do with the code) based on his old car. He said when the car is old (like his and mine), the starting fuel gets ticker and makes it hard to be worked by the starting pump. Right or not, after completing the fuel with no need to replace the pump, the light went off and there is no more noises when I turn the engine on in the very cold mornings of Colorado.

I have a 2003 Jaguar X-Type, I bought it about a week ago, It was running and driving perfect, Then today When leaving work I stopped in the back to hose out some leaves from under my hood and spray down my windshield. Once I started the vehicle after hosing down under the hood of leaves the orange light came on ( I think its the check transmission light) . Sometimes its solid, but other times, mainly when accelerating it starts blinking. What in the world does this mean? The engine sounds ok, but at certain times (when its blinking) It seems to run a little funny. Thought id seek out some advice before getting it checked out. Im not really well off right now since I just transitioned from canada and am paying freaking Attorneys!! PLEASE HELP

110

Hello Dublj306, never go to the "Jaguar" repair shop or any "BIG" box dealer mechanic until you know what's wrong; go to a local honest mechanic... good luck. Jaguar and big box repair shops with large overhead exploit your lack of knowledge, take advantage of those who know nothing, lie, and repair what doesn't need repairing and overlook what does; been there. I have eight of these now and have learned a "LOT". First, I never experienced that, sounds like the manifold hose, it's smooth, the new ones are corrugated to keep from collapsing, they say in high temperatures the hose collapses; the part number is C2S40863, buy it from the dealer, install it yourself; if they install it the price goes from $45 to "Hundreds".

110

Hello Idytee, they likely replaced a hose because they felt you were a hose *&#; sorry, they are skunks. Again, find an honest local mechanic; good luck ( I actually did; some things I still have to figure out myself). The thing with X-Types is they cannot be jumped or charged while the battery is hooked up to the car, you MUST unhook the battery prior to letting someone use it (jump), or to charge it. Let's say your battery is dead, if you hook a charger to the battery while connected to the x type it will f*@# up your electrical system; cha-ching, so NEVER, EVER jump or charge the battery while hooked up to your car, any car; if your car has a quiet slight hum by the ignition, the dealer will tell you that is normal, it is not; they do NOT know these cars that well which is why they don't like them, and the ones that do exploit it at the expense of your wallet.

110

Palomeria, you are correct; I discovered that you need to put a yellow bottle or two of "HEAT" upc 073905 282017 in the gas tank every fall, especially if you don't drive much or your car will run rough or not start at all. Also, every fall, change your oil and have Mobil one, full synthetic, 0W-40 put in (zero weight), this will lesson the strain on your cold motor, use the FRAM ultra synthetic filter to match.

110

Cody, sorry so late; just found this site, to answer your question, never hose down the motor like that, it was because you got some water some where that you were not supposed to; kind of like spraying an electrical outlet, except instead of a electrical shock, it's repair bill shock, all due to washing the motor too aggressively. I did the same thing, go to an honest mechanic and have the fuse replaced or better yet, do it yourself.

110

Have any of you flushed your differential's, "transfer case's", or transmission's lately; it's due every 30-35 thousand miles. If you let it go your transfer case may burn up, leave shavings on the bottom, jam up. I modified all mine to be simple to maintain like a typical old Chevy, adapted it, ran a hose to the top of the fire wall. If you let the fluids get too low the dummy lights will comes on, the gear shifter may suspend, preventing you from shifting; it's a domino effect. Do it yourself for $50, the dealer wants $900. They can't check it, it's a sealed system; that was said to be ,maintenance free, it's not. Also, if you hear any humming, in the rear it's your hubs, the part that holds on your rim and tires. If you do, replace the set, both right and left, not just one, or your cruise control won't work, and a yellow caution light will come on every 5/6 of a mile until you do. These cars are very intelligent and loaded with computers, as long as you maintain them, they will never leave you stranded; breakdown. Noreen

310

I have an 03 jaquar X series my Chechen engine light is on but car guns find. Can I get some help?

I need help with my 04 x type 3.0... it's making a lot of churping noise and taps and knocks. What could this be?