Transmission or trans box or torqe converter

Asked by Feb 21, 2016 at 08:15 PM about the 2004 Jaguar X-TYPE 2.5

It was making a noise after AC stopped
working. I thought it was the AC pully. But it
just went totally. Stopped shifting and belt
didn't snap. So not a pully. Doesn't go into
any gear and makes a grinding noise when I
put it in park. However the transmission was
working perfectly before this so I didn't think
I had transmission problems.

254,345

Grinding noise and transmission are not good. Best to have the pros take a look at it. The Jags of this era did not have robust transmissions.

Best Answer Mark helpful

It doesn't even go into park down, but is it likely for a transmission to shift perfect and then just go totally even when it was making the pulley type noises it was shifting perfectly I know I have to get it checked out by a professional but I'm just trying to get an idea of what it may run me before I take a tow truck and drop it off somewhere

I don't know who marked Tom as the best answer. That was the dumbest thing I could possibly see on a forum is telling me to go to a professional. That's obvious its going to be fixed with a pro. But I need a general diagnostic.

It's a sealed trans, so no oil stick if anyone wonders about fluids

254,345

You didn't originally ask what the cost would be. Around $2000-3000 is the going rate for a transmission rebuild, more maybe for a Jag. The reason I recommended a pro, is most people post on here looking for a quick fix and your fix will most probably require knowledge on rebuilding a transmission and or doing more diagnostic work. You also didn't specify how often you work on cars or what your knowledge base is. We do a lot of guessing on online forums since we have limited info. and truly want to help people get the best advise. To check the fluid requires you to get the car in the air and warm it up to operating level and pull the fill plug to check the level. Something I wouldn't novices doing as it can be a safety issue. Slight shifting issue scan be dirty or low fluid, but grinding always means something more serious. HTH's.

I'm not a professional but I'm knowledgable enough. It is a sealed transmission do you know where the fill plug is I was told there was no fill plug on a sealed transmission.

It just happened so I took it out on you I do appreciate your time. And having a hard time grasping that it can shift perfectly and then just be trash. But I guess you're right it boils down to having to take it to someone professional. I just was looking for an explanation of the symptoms.. now it doesn't shift when I move the shifter only makes a noise when I put it in park but it still rolls

I just got a 2003 jaguar and it's doing the same thing Luis did you ever find out Wat's wrong with it

if its still rolls in park, could be your park break inside the transmission has broken , which explains the grinding sound and damage to internals causing no movement. a park brake is a manual lever inside the transmission