My Cig. lighter doesn't work, so I cannot use to charge equipment. I replaced the fuse, but this didn't help. Any other suggestions?

geop
0

Asked by Mar 09, 2013 at 02:22 PM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

the cigarette lighter is a troublesome device, had fuse blowing because A PENNY went into it, where no one could see the penny, got it out with a shopvac...your problem is similar in that the actual lighter has something wrong with it...you could pull it out and bench test it...to find the element is burned out, or it's shorting (like with a penny in there)...in any event, you've come this far, taking it out and bench testing it will show what you need to know....also, you've changed the fuse, but did you test the connection with a voltmeter or testlight? maybe just fine, but the actual element is havin' trouble...so, in summation bench test the unit, and replace if bad.

...I mean think about it, to have voltage put to where a red-hot thing is, will melt plastics and start fires------don't smoke, it's bad!

James Ramond
18,005

you mean the socket is dead,the lighter may be the wrong part for it,test the socket center dot is a hot button,the metal around is ground so probe the center with test light,if you bump the side metal youll blow fuse ,if you do and see the sparks,good then replacce the fuse again and fixed without all this fancy equipment

87,215

Coins in the socket will wipe out a fuse in an instant. Same deal if you insert the wrong cigarette lighter. There are two lengths and if you insert a long lighter in a short socket = no fuse. --- Check the fuse again, use a flash light to see into the bottom of the socket. The center button is the power and it should be sort of clean. Use a pencil eraser to clean it up a little. Sometimes chargers have small fuses in them. See if the center part unscrews.

Raihan Ahmed
1,515

The connector that connect to the lighter might be disconnected , to do this you have to take off the bezel (wooden trim) then u can acces two stews that hold the ash tray on , after that u can see it it was connected wrong polarity , there should be an orange and yellow connectors attached to the lighter. Hope this helps yr problem.I had similar issue after installing aftermarket stereo.

Raihan Ahmed
1,515

Double check if it is the right fuse f52 located driver compartment fuse box .