transmission shifter clicks when step on brake while in drive.

bfsgross
50

Asked by Oct 28, 2009 at 01:40 PM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

Just bought 2002 jag. i know that one must press on brake pedal to take out of park then will be a click sound from interlock solenoid, but i have same clicking sound from solenoid when step on brake while in drive, etc. anybody had similar? plus moon roof will function in "pop up" mode but will not open when push switch to "slide open". Thank you.

Jeremy Cobb
15

im not sure about jaguars but my 93 honda civic did that also my 90 lexus es300 and when i test drove a 2009 mercury mountaineer it also did it so im pretty sure its ok when it does that

bfsgross
50

Thank you. It clicks anytime the brake peddle is depressed while driving. is this your experience too?

bfsgross
50

Needs a new $450 shifter. I can live with the clicking sound for now.

Dustin Woodworth
95

If you look above where the brake pedal is, the sensor that enables the brake light is what is most likely making the clicking noise.

bfsgross
50

Than you for the info. Dustin24. Would you know if I should replace the sensor, etc.?

Dustin Woodworth
95

I am not really sure if getting a new one would eliminate the sound or if you will just have to live with it. I know its annoying sometimes when I actually do notice it.

Nik Pappaconstantine
65

The noise is nothing to worry about, Every 2002 JAG x type ive been in with an automatic tranny does it. Normally if you were in drive, and tried to push the shifter into park, the solenoid stops you, if you hit the brake, it makes it pop back in, They built them to be very loud for some reason! Jaguars software design for their computer controlled windows [and moon roof] is a HORRIBLE design, It just needs to be re programmed, which should cost you about $70. In order to open the moon roof on mine, you gotta hold the close button, the moon roof pops up, then down, then in. Ive had it reprogrammed 3 times!