Just Bought 2002 X-Type Yesterday

Asked by Jan 09, 2009 at 12:45 PM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0

Purchased car with 80k on it. Great shape, news tires, new brakes, 2 previous
owners. Seems like a great deal. 3.0 V6 and AWD.

Just wondering if there is anything I should look for in terms of problems or

My condolences.

I have the same car, it's been great - 112,000 on it now and bought it with 57K on it. Only problems have been the hose from the PCV to engine broke - which is common apparently, windshield cleaning fluid dispensers on hood break and I've given up on them - no biggie I just clean when I gas. AC isn't the coldest but I'm in S. FL so it's under a lot of demand. I hope you have as good an experience as I have. good luck

No had mine from new, it's now had 60k miles of easy trouble free driving under it's belt. The AWD is great. Enjoy!

I have a 2004 2.0D estate, have had it 2 years with no real problems! Its good mpg, very comfy leather and wood interior and very practical! Excellent car.

why's that then Eric? do you have a stiory to tell?

I put 4 transfer cases in my 2004. I bought it with 18,000 miles on it. NO MORE FORDs with Jag emblems for me!!

bought my 2002 in 2005..2 months later had to have transmission replaced (under warranty thank God), upper radiator hose, water pump, replaced at 80,000. Fan control module went out and since it's been remodified for my model, ended up paying over $500 for complete fan assembly. Moon roof malfunction, clicking sound when pressing brake pedal , driver and passenger side door seals need to be replaced...after a heavy rain it's almost impossible to open the doors. All four big speakers went out simutaneously. I've had just about every issue that I've seen listed on these forums. I love the car and it's features but Jaguar should have worked all all of these kinks sooner. Will never, ever, ever, ever purchase another undercover Ford. This car makes Jag look really bad.

Kareem, I was curious how much you paid for it? I have an 2003 X Type AWD with the 2.5 and I want to sell if you know anyone interested. It only has 66K miles on it and in excellent conditon. I'm asking $8500.00 Let me know Jeff D

I have had my x-type for 5 years and have had ALL of these same problems along with countless thousands of others with the 2002 x-type What a piece. It looks so good and it drives amazing when you can get it driving. I will NEVER buy another. What a disappointment this car has been. Can't wait to get rid of it.

AMEN! Worst car I have EVER owned. My Jag 02 x-type has had countless issues and codes , doors not opening, sunroof not opening, cruise control not working, trunk not opening, the fan constantly running even with new thermostat and radiator and limp mode whenever it felt like it. The tranny reverse clutch burned out at 79,000 miles. Funny that the trans was built in Japan and the car is a Jag and you can't find parts at the local parts house to fix it. The local Jag dealer can't even figure out half the things that are wrong with it. I have read hundreds of posts that people have been put in danger due to the complications with this car. Jag should have recalled this car long ago. It is sad that they haven't stepped up to the plate with this one. Never own another or recommend anyone buying one. This car has been a COMPLETE DISAPPOINTMENT. To bad too cuz it is a sexy looking car.

I just realized today that I have had my 2002 x type for 4 yours and have only put 25k miles on it......bc the POS is always messed up somehow that no one can ever figure out why! I have also decided it is haunted and thats just the way it is. I guess I should be thankful that it has never left me stranded so far yet.....I mean not for any longer than breaking down or acting funny and then starting right back up with no problems. Good luck to ya.....if you can return that car then do and get you a Ford Focus or something....a reliable car the 02 x type is not! Sorry dude......if it makes you feel better, it runs better in the warm months. The cold months is when it acts funny.

We have owned two and I service them often. They have been great cars for us. Great mileage, unstoppable in bad weather. You do need to stay on maintenance schedule and like a couple have posted here the transfer case is weak and doesn't tolerate any abuse. Also spark plugs and intake O-rings fail frequently but those are cheap and don't leave you stranded.

Watch for coolant leaks; that is the only major item I've had with my 2003 2.5. The water pump needed to be replaced and I had a new one installed and with labor - out the door - it was under $200.00. Purchased with 75K and now it has 94K after five years. During the winter season, the coolant leaks, but do not panic! That is typical of these vehicles.