my xtype 2.5 petrol 2002 temp gauge goes to hot after a few miles , stop car and goes back to normal after 30 secs and ready to godrive for another 10 miles or so and repeats goes to overheat altho

Asked by Dec 30, 2012 at 08:19 AM about the 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE 2.5

xtype 2.5 petrol

555

It's the cooling system,somewhere in the cooling system there's a problem. Your thermostat,water pump,overflow tank or a line has gone bad. The water pumps have plastic parts where there should be metal. I had to replace my entire cooling system bit by bit until it was fixed. Hope this helps =)

My employee has this same car and it did the same thing. Try turning the heater on full when it is overheating. If the temp gage starts to drop then you know the water pump is circulating and your thermostat is stuck. It is a very inexpensive part. I think I picked it up at a NAPA for under $40.

I had the same experience with my Jaguar Xtype. Occurred after driving @ 75mph on highway for about 15 minutes, while outside temp was about 35 degrees. When I opened the hood, the actual engine temp was normal, although gauge was in the red zone.. I returned driving and it did it again. This time I pulled over and switched ignition off and immediately back on. The temp reading immediately went to normal.. Hmm? Best suggestion is to first replace thermostat. When it's not opening, radiator will be cooler to the touch than normal when engine has been running for a while. Next have ECT sensor tested or replaced. These steps should correct issue.