Epb engaged will not release

Asked by Oct 25, 2015 at 04:53 PM about the 2006 Jaguar S-TYPE 4.2

1,295

first thing to check son is does the motor work??????????? if so then it is obviously the mechanism inside the rear brake set up that is sticking try freeing it off with WD 40 or a cheaper option is Telephone Sanitizer, not being funny I have recently been stripping gearboxes for scrap and it helps free things off. the mechanism inside the rear braking system has possibly seized solid son due to lack of maintenance, if the motor is not working then check for electric current at the operators switch.

Thanx will try

45

its your battery these are special batteries and when they start to fail this will happen I know I have one and replaced the battery and fixed this exact problem

45

oh yeah check the terminals first of course they could be loose or have a lot of that oxidation / corrosion

1,295

son, it wont be the battery. if the rest of the automobile is functioning correctly then the battery will not be causing the EPB to malfunction. when starting from cold does the engine turn slowly and struggle to start? and are the lights very dim when the engine is NOT running? if you answer yes to both questions then these are a key sign the battery is malfunctioning

45

Rhino, I see you don't even have one of these cars. Those of us that do know that this is a sign of a old / bad battery. I think you should stick to the rovers

1,295

I know I don't have one of them cars that is because being British, I stick to British built cars but I know for a fact a flat battery will not cause the EPB to fail under use, like I said do the lights go very dim when the engine is off?, does the engine struggle to start from cold etc, I don't need one of them cars to know what the problem is I am over qualified to sorting out these stupid American motors on here, what is the use of the electronic park brake there is nothing wrong the the mechanical hand brake on my land rover, and don't tell me what you think I should stick to.

45

First of all to the Original poster Sorry about all of this and I hope you get your brake released soon.

45

And now Rino, you are sooo wrong wrong wrong

45

this is a electrical switch and if the vdc is not right it will not disengage. so stick to your crappy rovers

45

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t25475_ds659554 to further back up my answer

1,295

what a load of bollocks, just read http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t25475_ds659554 and nobody seems to know what they are talking about here. what does an electrical switch have to do with the battery and why would a flat battery stop movement of the mechanism, for example try starting a car with a battery reading around 6-8 volts and you will here clicking from the starter solenoid. Ok the starter is not working correctly but it is trying to work under the circumstances, so there has to be more to it than a flat battery to completely stop the EPB from working. and as for the so called "crappy rovers" my hand brake on my Land Rover was working as faultless as ever as I pulled up tonight.

45

hahaha of course the switch is powered by the battery. What is so hard to understand. And I guess we are all wrong and you are right. Sigh, you must be slow in the head

1,295

I am not slow in the head you stupid Americans do not understand that if the battery has enough current to start the engine then there should be enough current to drive the EPB you are all wrong this is simple electronic technology and you cannot work it out, its me that feels sorry for you not understanding basics of electronics.

I had the exact same problem on my 2005 s-type, replaced my battery and once the tech reset everything = No problem since then.

I've had Some problems like this from time to time. It was humidity in the conection. By the Way, if you hold it pushed by Turning off the engine the Park break stay off. Good to know in strong winter conditions.