question about key getting stuck in my 2001 gmc jimmy

55

Asked by Apr 18, 2012 at 10:48 AM about the 2001 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLT 4WD SUV

the problem I am having is my key won't turn back to the off position and when it does that, it will not
start    every once in awhile It come out and then I can start it then it gets stuck again and I have to
unhook the battery because it drains it I am thinking it is a security problem but not 100% sure plz help

175

wiggle the steering wheel see if the steering wheel is stuck

55

I have tried that, It is not stuck. I have also tried wiggling the shifter and keys, both doesn't do anything.

50

There is a plug on the underside of the steering column(toward the right side)... remove the covering on the plug and stick in an ink pen and the key will turn off every time! Mine done this too... Something in it must go bad but sticking the pen in will fix it without the high cost of fixing it!

25

I know that its is really late if you have a need to remove your key from the steering column you will need to remove the gear shift center cover right below the handle there is a group of wires the red wire could be cut as my wire was and the other wires are also cut just fix this issue and you will have no more issues. add more wire the same gauge 3"-5" for all of them. Make the repair it should work for a long time if its done right. also change the gear shift light while you are there my light was out just two birds with one rock. also if you for some reason play with this and it stops working you may have just blown a fuse check #11 in the cab. play safe 2000 GMC JIMMY 213941 MILES AND STILL MOVING

735

Put left hand. On steering wheel turn left and right hard while you are turning the key.the key will come out