Is there a simple trick for getting the old head gacket material off? And RTV question.

Asked by Jun 18, 2013 at 09:34 AM about the 2001 GMC Jimmy 4 Dr SLE 4WD SUV

I've used CRC gasket remover and a plastic scrapper. The stuff is coming off, although slowly. I was hoping someone might know a trick that doesn't involve hours of elbow grease.

Also, I have a tube of Permatex Red High-Temp RTV. Is there any reason I shouldn't use it for the lower air intake manifold to the engine block and cylinder heads? Not on the head gaskets themselves. Just where the heads meet the lower manifold.

Thanks in advance.

they do sell 2 inch fiber pads that attach to a die grinder[thier self stick] they work pretty good. [be carefull on aluminum heads] should be able to pick up at any parts store. might even be able to use with a drill.

Good call santapaws. Don't forget to have the heads checked and milled flat, you don't want to do this job again because of a warped head. RTV I like ultra black myself, if you read the info pack that comes with the intake gaskets you will see where you need to put the RTV. Good luck.

I love my 3M twist lock pads

Thanks guys. Any takers on the Red Hi-Temp RTV?

old school some solvent and a knife sharpening stone you will remove gasket and remove any high spots.and see any cracks,

for the big stuff a razor blade connected to razor handle slowly,not to cut youself.