I have a 1991 chevy lumina and when I drive it, it drive smoothly n starts up good, but when I do a complete stop or mash on da gas its shuts off even wen I want to accelerate like all cars do.

Asked by Mar 02, 2015 at 08:09 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr Euro Sedan

so can anyone tell me what it is and
how to fix it what I need to get?

10,590

you could have a bad idle air control valve or throttle position sensor. you should scan the computer for codes. It is obd1 and you can do it with a paper clip in the obd port. google it. there are test procedures for these parts that I mentioned, try easyautodiagnostics.com and troubleshootmyvehicle.com. if these parts test out and you don't have any stored codes, test the fuel pressure. that car should have a shrader valve to hook the pressure gauge to. when was the last time it had a tuneup and fuel filter? If all of the above things check out, and there is no code, you will need to test the injectors. its a pain, because I think you have to remove the intake plenum. good luck.

Best Answer

How much all those parts gonna cost

10,590

I posted sites to test the parts, dont replace before testing. The most expensive of the parts will be the injectors. mostly because of the labor to get to them, but there again, test things first. and also, scan for codes like I outlined.

Can u take a 1991 chevy lumina to auto zone to get codes scan to see wat it is?

10,590

Don think so. You can do it yourself though. Really easy. Simple procedure using a paper clip. Google it.

What to google again what website to get on?

Never mind

Those sites ain't telling me what I need to know about the 1991 chevy lumina I need help im trying to get it fix asap.

Do anyone know how to make a 1991 chevy lumina stop shuting off at a complete n hve it accelerate normal cuz it shut off when I mash on da gas. I need help and oh yeah who know how to scan for codes to figure out what it is?

10,590

You can handle this. Type in to your search bar "how to read obd1 trouble code 91 Chevy" In your search result you will find one that is www.troublecodes.net/GM. click on it and you will get a step by step instruction on how to do it. Your obd computer port is under the steering wheel. You should also get a Chilton or Haynes manual for that car. I have the same car . The manual will tell you how to do it too, and it has the code definitions listed also.

Ok thank yoi