Chevy Lumina 91 3.1 4dr...multi...I got a codes, 14 and 42...14 is heat temp high...and 42 is a ESC or EST Eletric Spark Timing, now I went and got a paper clip to pull these codes...it works. 12,12,12, and 14,14,14 and then 4..2 so it is 42...42 is behind the coil pack and then also it is connected to the crank sensor...What ever it is...I did check spark on the to top right side coil pack and the spark is powerful...removing 2 plug wires to test spark...so under that, change that and then the crank sensor...and the the Heat sensor for the water or radiator 14 code. Any other helps is good...Thanks!

465

Asked by Mar 08, 2013 at 12:52 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr Euro Sedan

before it stalls engine light comes on all the time before it stalls...Code 42 and code 14 is
what  I got...I am going to change the crank sensor in the morning to see if this helps...but I
am welcoming all other answers...take a paper clip make a even U...under the steering wheel
is a OBD1 test area...you will see tiny slots, the top 2 slots top right is where you put the
clip in B is left and A is right...don't put in the bottom one that is data serial...don't need
it...ok so this done, turn the key to the on position but do not start it! look at engine light
area and start to count light blinks...1,2...1,2...1,2...then 1,3 or 1,4 or 1,5 or like this will
blink...then watch for the third blinks...which will be like 1234..12 or 12345...123...count
the blinking engine light then you can go to google to find your codes...scroll down to see
chart and diagram...only use B-A to test using a paper clip...

http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/bl_dtcs_14a.htm

14- coolant sensor or circuit/ high temp indicated 42- bypass or electronic spark timing (est) circuit Is there a problem here? Really haven't told us much, other than fending off these troubled codes.

Best Answer Mark helpful
1,325

...the car is a '91... i'll put my money on it that those are all the original sensors... if it was me... I'd just change 'em... they're not that expensive, and the car could use some sensor updating to avoid future issues... which you Will have... the car is over 21 years OLD ! ..... Here's my initial strategy for the moment, take it or leave it ....... some of these Suggestions are just Standard Maintenance items which may not Fix your problem.... they're just the Right things to do..... if the engine is Very Dirty, Greasy, Grimey... Clean It Good...... My '90 Lumina came with an engine practically sealed in a block of grime..... I pressure washed it..... and then used a few cans of Gumout Carb Cleaner...... I recommend Gumout, it seems to be the safest on paint, plastic, and rubber...... Engine cleaners, degreasers, etc... are available as well, although i haven't found a really good one....... compressed air works good along with the degreasers and such....... but if it's a real mess....... nothing cleans it better than the blast of a pressure washer....... just be careful and let it dry real good before you play with it....... if the car hasn't had a tune-up or inspection in a long while..... change the Wires & Plugs (the rear plugs are very difficult) ...... and Air Filter..... while your at it ....... closely Inspect Every Wire and Vacuuum Hose....... check All the wires everywhere....... if there's a bundle crushed underneath the power steering pump, check them Real Good, and/or get them out of there.... Re-route them along the top....... Heat, Grime, and Vibration tend to rot the insulation after so many years....... Check the bundle of wires on and around your starter, and the fusible links down there..... clean them up if necessary....... Grime is Bad! Grime can get conductive. Clean things up Good. It makes for easier, cleaner troubleshooting and repairs as well.......Replace your Crankshaft Sensor, Knock Sensor (located near/above the Crankshaft Sensor), and the Coolant Temp Sensor) They're OLD, they're inexpensive, and Updating them is Just Good Therapy....... Be VERY Careful when you change anything, or inspect wires, or hoses... The Car is OLD...... plastic and rubber get Rotten.... the connectors can fall apart in your hands... so be Careful.... If you get it started....... clean the throttle body with throttle body cleaner..... not carb cleaner....... and why not change your oil and filter... i would recommend a Fram Toughguard because it has an anti-drainback feature that will give a little added protection from "dry" starts on your OLD engine....... Your Computer will probably have been Reset if you have disconnected the Battery while working on the engine....... the car will run like crap at first until it relearns it's parameters...... it can take a long while, even a week or so depending on your driving habits....... but there is a procedure that will do it in about 30 minutes..... I don't have it handy at the moment....... that's it..... maybe others can suggest more....... good luck

Still unsure of what you'd like the GURUs to do for you today.

465

never mind I solved it...hee hee...sorry...I am a computer geek and semi nerd...tend to panic, I thought to come here for help but ended up fixing my problem as I was asking...Thanks guys!

465

It was IN FACT one very messed up ECM....I changed it and it is smooth and running like a 2013 car...Thanks guys for the help...

chevyboy605 - how did you come to this conclusion? Did you just begin to throw random parts at it, and another used ECM fixed it?