Automatic transmission: "2" goes in reverse and "1" works but no other gears engage

5

Asked by Apr 05, 2010 at 04:23 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Corsica LT Sedan FWD

Could it simply be the (very rusty looking) spring on the black plug/linkage directly above transmission
housing?

5

I don't know if my picture is too big or what, but I keep getting errors trying to post it. Here is a link to the picture of the spring I referred to above: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/EV5W-K_aCRJe33uBilltxA?feat=directlink

5

Discovered today that if I put her in neutral before starting the engin, reverse actually works in the "R" position, after which drive will engage only when I put the shifter all the way down in "2".