I just put a can of refritgerant in the a/c unit of my 91 caprice classic. now the compressor is going on and off constantly for a 3 or 4 second duration.Do I need more refridgerant?

Asked by Feb 16, 2014 at 03:55 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Caprice Classic Sedan RWD

Sounds like but use caution you could put to much in. I always go to my ac tech and let him pull a vacuum on the system check to it for leaks then recharge it. He only charges $50 for doing this.

Best Answer Mark helpful

What refrigerant did you use? R134..R134a...or what? Let's work from there, okay?

You did it again

That's $50 WELL SPENT...it gets it right, does not illegally release R-Gas in to the air, and more and more

I looked it up and a '91 Caprice (factory) used R-12 Freon, nearly impossible to buy, if you find it on-line for sale it is either 1) illegal to sell, (but nothing happens on the internet illegal, eh?) or 2) scam..a can of air..or 3) R134 which is not useable without first converting the system

systemhas been converted

This is called short cycling. It means you're low on refrigerant. GM switched to R134a beginning with the 1994 models. HTH. -Jim

Must not live in the North East? I drove to Los Vegas from Southern California this past weekend and used the A/C all the time. My brother in Iowa never touched the A/C.

The car actually came from california, I live in Florida

Stay warm my friend. In Florida there are tons of A/C experts.

Yes, the compressor is kicking back on, they will kick on and off and then off when low on refrigerant. Use a gauge, nothing fancy the ones that come in the kick will work, and SLOWLY and gas in small intervals, NEVER all at once. Use the R134 with oil and stopleak all in one for best results. in older cahs ( i'm from Boston) charge to 40-45 pounds. Don't be a hero and try for 55 pounds cause you have some left over. You won't like them apples. Stay cool. (Go Red Sox)