Why do i have gas in my oil pan

10

Asked by Apr 04, 2013 at 11:17 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro Z28

I have 1991 Chevy Camaro Z28 8 Cylinder fuel injection, it will not turn over, I checked the injectors, the fuel regulator, airlines.

Any thoughts

145

Gas in the oil pan indicates fuel leaking into the engine. A leaking injector would be a likely cause. If your engine is not turning over at all, you may want to check the battery, starter, wiring, or starter relay. If it's turning over, but just not starting, you may want to check the ignition and fuel delivery. Will it fire with a spray of starting fluid in the intake?

10

Hi thanks for your reply, It does turn over but does not start. I will try starting fluid today. we checked the injectors with an OHM meter and they averaged 12, 13, one injector was 11 so we replaced that one. How else can you identify if an injector is leaking/stuck open

10

ok we started but now it seems to flood out?

32,265

Check the fuel pressure regulator. Sounds funny but GM used the same regulator from mid 80s- mid 90s, I saw one where the diaphragm ripped and allowed fuel at full pressure to leak directly into the vacuum line that controlled the regulator. Raw gas dumped into the intake while the pump was on and flooded the engine. Really easy to check, just pull the vacuum line off the regulator and see if fuel is pouring out while the engine is cranking

Best Answer
32,265

Was that it?

93,535

Good tip John. The Grand Am guys have what's called the suck test. Put a piece of clear aquarium tubing on the fuel pressure regulator nipple and suck on it. Watch the clear tube for gas.

10

Yes, thank you for your help..and thanks for the input tenspeed. the regulator was one of the issues, we replaced it and it does not flood any more!!! however, it does turn over, but it does not stay running. It stalls in about 10- 20 seconds. I have now replaced the regulator, replaced the injectors, cleaned the intake and the throttle body, I have new plugs, new wires, new distributor. I tried starting fluid and it does not stay running. I was searching for more answers and i removed the EGR selonoid and tested it. I used to wires and connected it to the battery, the selonoid clicked several times, but it remains open at all times. i checked by blowing through the lines. i assume this means that i need to replace the selonoid.. look forward to your comments. The camaro has been sitting for 5yrs.

32,265

If its been sitting for 5 years you may have a gas tank full of varnish.

you injectors could be leaking fuel in to your combustion chamber and fouling / flooding your plugs. preform an injector leak down test.