One wheel peel

35

Asked by May 26, 2009 at 05:51 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS

My car is known as the one wheel peel around my area because thats how they made this model camaro. People tell me to go get a rear diff or all kinds of stuff i want to know whats is a better idea, should i go get a rear end from a 4th gen or get the diff?

45

Haha that's what you'll get. You have posi trac differential, meaning as soon as one tire breaks loose, all the torque will go down that wheel. If you get a late 4th gen rear end with limited slip differential it won't allow this to happen. You won't be the one wheel peel, and it'll help your take offs if you drag with it

Best Answer
35

yea thats what i was thinking i can get my hands on a 4th gen rear end pretty easy thanks

45

Make sure it's a limited slip differential though. And check which gears it has as well before buying.

6,675

auburn limited slip rear ends. or eaton. i believe those are the names of 2 very good brands. its been so long since ive looked. jegs will have them dirt cheap.

5

yea make sure its an LSD and also the ratio of the diffrential

145

Depending on your automotive hands on knowlege, you have 2 main choices... the easy and cheapest way is to get a "spool", It helps achieve your goal of having both tires spin, but it also will screech around corners, speeding up tire wear. ( it locks your rear axles, forching both rear tires to rotate at the same speed.) http://www.jegs.com/i/Strange+Engineering/873/D1558/10002/-1 The next would be a LSD (limited slip differential). I'd recommend the Eaton Posi unit. Feel free to change your ring and pinion at this time but make sure you set the correct backlash. Otherwise you'll be replacing it all in a month or so. http://www.jegs.com/p/Eaton/Eaton-Posi-Differentials/750876/10002/-1 I would stay away from 4th gen components personally. They are a 7.5" gear set, and having owned 4th gens, i know first hand that they are the first component to break under abuse. But, should you decide to go that route, here is a site to help you . http://www.thirdgen.org/4thgenrear

45

Has your car been modified or is it fairly stock?? If it is stock I think your best bet would be finding a rear end setup from a Z28 with posi track should run around 200 or so if it has been modified than you want to step up the rear end to a 12 bolt with posi track. Your car has a ten bolt and once you start putting serious power the rear end wont be long for this world.

555

depending on the kind of axle it is you may be able to install a differential from and older 80's truck. if it's a 10-bolt then you can easily find a 3.50 or 3.73 rear gear that has a limited slip built into it.

6,675

oh and depending on what you are doing with your car(everyday driver, top speed, or drag, etc) make sure you look into gear ratios.

85

rear disc brake rear ends from a 4th gen run 125.00 or powertrax makes a unit that installs in open diffs without having to set up the ring and pinion to make it a limited slip

25

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this but is is doable to do a 2 wheel peel on your camaro. I have one exactly like yours. When you begin spinning the tires begin to "rock" the car by gently turning your steering wheel back and forth this will make the torque applied to each wheel change and they both will begin to spin.

So from what I'm getting here, the slip disk is superior to the positrack? Have a 77 Cheyeene, S/W, has the 3.73 slip disc rear end.