Swap 3.1 to 350

35

Asked by Nov 04, 2008 at 09:10 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS Convertible

hey im sure somebody has asked already but i want to know how difficult would you say it is to swap a 3.1L to a 350. I know I have to get a new wiring harness, but somebody told me i could use the same engine mounts but I don't think that's true. Also maybe you could post sum pics if you have done it so i have a better idea of how it would look when i do it, and the other stuff i would need to get to do the swap. Thanks

10,125

Pretty much everything under the hood has to be changed. Mounts will have to be changed (easier to grab the k-member out of the junkyard v8 camaro or firebird). Will have to change the transmission (make sure you grab the mount bar while at the junkyard)! Brake booster! Power steering pump! ECM! Coil springs! Driveshaft! Rear diff is recommended (also good idea to grab while in the junkyard)!

355

Unless you are able to get all the parts quite cheap and can do all the work yourself, conversions like this are generally not worth it. It is probably cheaper and definitely much easier to just sell your car and go out and buy a car with the engine you want already in it, which in this case would be a small-block V8 1991 Camaro. I suppose that if your current engine is already ruined and the rest of the car is absolutely immaculate then it might be worth it, or if you are really attached to the car. Just don't expect to get your money back if you ever sell it.

355

Also, if you do the conversion it may be cheaper to buy a donor car instead of getting all the parts separately. Just buy a good running car with the right engine and trans and then take all the bits you want off it yourself at home. You can sell any bits you don't use at the end to help recover the cost.

35

Thanks and yes i am doing all the work my self and i am attached to it so its not that easy but i was considering getting a donor car for it but i have a junk yard right next to my shop so going there is no problem thanks again for the help.

30

Just swapped carbed 5.0 and 700r4 in place of my f.i 3.1 in my convertible 91 used v8 motor mounts,v8 radiator,front coil springs from donor car,purchased fuel pres regulator,front coil springs,also changed out column to non chipped ign trouble I'm having is engine wiring

30

Swapped h.o 5.0l from ss monte into 91 convertible camaro.had 88 rs doner from donor i used,v8 engine mounts, tranny Crossmember, radiator and driveshaft.took compt out, cut f.I stuff from engine harness.non chipped column, v8 driveshaft ,elect external fuel pump w/regulator.same shocks, springs etc.no probs tho I rec. Changing rear diff as some spline tooth counts differ