Engine quits while driving

Asked by May 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry LE V6

My 2007 Toyota Camry LXE conks out
when driving. Engine light and warning
lights come on. Have to stop it before
steering ceases. Car dies. Turn on again
and it goes. No pattern as to when it will
do this. Been on two computers. No one
can figure it out. Dangerous!

1,830

Hi...ever fix the problem on this vehicle?

No Sometimes it goes for three weeks without stoping. Right now it's driving. Could be the local mechanic unknowingly fixed something. He had taken the top of my engine off. Checked all wires. He replaced one of my after market new could with a Toyotacoil. Said it made no change. Maybe he fixed something loose my regular mechanic missed. It was at two dealerships also wo couldn't find what was wrong. I asked one of them to check the actual computer of the car but he doubted that was the issue. I'm in limbo.

4,220

When this vehicle acts up....it is important for someone to get into the computer with a SCAN TOOL at.....or soon after the event. One would check for Computer Codes and FREEZE FRAME DATA. This info is a "snap shot" of what the computer was processing when the event occurred. One would also search for Service Bulletins and Recalls describing this issue. So consider getting to your mechanic soon after the vehicle acts up again. Good Luck and keep us up to date.

Best Answer Mark helpful

Thank u. They put it on regular computer but did not check the cars computer. No other people had complained to Toyota but I did see some on this site. Anyone who had this happen should really make Toyota aware

1,830

OK...keep in touch.

I will. Won't be driving for s while as I broke my right foot!

1,830

Hi....any final resolution/updates to this issue?

No. I've not been able to drive with s broken foot.

4,220

Understood. Good luck with your healing process.

Driving again. Not s love t of it but the car is going. Now it's the continuous tire light act that's gone on for two years. It comes on and nothing is wrong with my tires. And somehow got rain on my head in my car but the moon roof was shut and seemed dry. This car is beginning to grate on me.

4,220

Hooray...your back on the road. The tire issue might be a simple reset...Tires will change pressure often ased on ambient pressure and how hi you live in the mountains. There should be a reset procedure in the Owner's Manual. The rain on you head issue could be the corner drains on the sunroof are plugged up. Use caution when attempting a sunroof repair. It will cost about $1000.00 for a fix that went bad. Toyota has a few Service Bulletins on Moon/Sunroof problems.

Finally! A town garage found that the tire sensors were bad. Other places did bad jobs of replacing them even after they were done with Toyota parts ones new sensor ended up being defective! I hope this 3 year aggravation is over. As for the car dying as I drove. My town garage seemed to maybe have resolved this as well. He took the top of the engine off and put it all back. Somehow him messing with the new non Toyota coils seemed to have fixed it! Toyota themselves never was able to figure out either problem. Interesting.

4,220

OK...Sounds like you found a good local garage mechanic. Nice. Do you recall ever getting a RECALL notice concerning your Gas Pedal? Unintended acceleration was Toyota's concern. Another Safety Issue. Let us know what other interesting events happen on the vehicle...and...thanks for the update.

No I didn't get a recall. On my the gas pedal.

Had the same problem on my 2000 camry dies going down the road finally figured it out the battery tie downs were broken battery would ground out fixed the tie downs hasn't done it over 2 years now

4,220

Interesting. Thanks for this valuable onfo.

You are welcome. Guess after Market coils really are not helpful. Plus the car computer seems to be the culprit of tire light. Too expensive to fix. Thanks for all the help. I think it's been figured out much to my dismay!!

I have the same problem with my V6 Camry 2007 today! The engine just stops running. could not restart after 5 minutes trying. It drives fine now, but I am worry something may happen soon!!!. My coworker had same thing happened to his Camry, too. He fixed it by replacing the Speed sensors on his car. I would do the same, for safety. the parts are on order.

4,220

The key to the diagnosis of your issue is a Scan of the computers on this vehicle. Have you noticed any warning lights on or flashing when the engine is running...?

4,220

Tony0...whats new with your vehicle?

All is well. Once the full set of Toyota coils went in it never ceased up again. Then Asian auto seemed to have fixed the tire light from coming on when it shouldn’t took years but the Plaistow garage had the answer to that. Toyota parts only. Big lesson.

Thanks for asking. Sorry I did not answer sooner. My Camry runs very nice again. I found out that my car AC was lock up some how! whenever I tun on the AC, the engine dies. I am driving without the AC now, it is very hot in Houston at this time of the year. Will be fixed when I have some saving !!!

4,220

Wow...very interesting. Thanks for the update. Let us know when the ultimate fix takes place.