Engine quits while driving

Asked by May 20, 2016 at 10:27 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry LE V6

My 2007 Toyota Camry LXE conks out
when driving. Engine light and warning
lights come on. Have to stop it before
steering ceases. Car dies. Turn on again
and it goes. No pattern as to when it will
do this. Been on two computers. No one
can figure it out. Dangerous!

1,100

Hi...ever fix the problem on this vehicle?

No Sometimes it goes for three weeks without stoping. Right now it's driving. Could be the local mechanic unknowingly fixed something. He had taken the top of my engine off. Checked all wires. He replaced one of my after market new could with a Toyotacoil. Said it made no change. Maybe he fixed something loose my regular mechanic missed. It was at two dealerships also wo couldn't find what was wrong. I asked one of them to check the actual computer of the car but he doubted that was the issue. I'm in limbo.

1,510

When this vehicle acts up....it is important for someone to get into the computer with a SCAN TOOL at.....or soon after the event. One would check for Computer Codes and FREEZE FRAME DATA. This info is a "snap shot" of what the computer was processing when the event occurred. One would also search for Service Bulletins and Recalls describing this issue. So consider getting to your mechanic soon after the vehicle acts up again. Good Luck and keep us up to date.

Best Answer

Thank u. They put it on regular computer but did not check the cars computer. No other people had complained to Toyota but I did see some on this site. Anyone who had this happen should really make Toyota aware

1,100

OK...keep in touch.

I will. Won't be driving for s while as I broke my right foot!

1,100

Hi....any final resolution/updates to this issue?

No. I've not been able to drive with s broken foot.

1,510

Understood. Good luck with your healing process.

Driving again. Not s love t of it but the car is going. Now it's the continuous tire light act that's gone on for two years. It comes on and nothing is wrong with my tires. And somehow got rain on my head in my car but the moon roof was shut and seemed dry. This car is beginning to grate on me.

1,510

Hooray...your back on the road. The tire issue might be a simple reset...Tires will change pressure often ased on ambient pressure and how hi you live in the mountains. There should be a reset procedure in the Owner's Manual. The rain on you head issue could be the corner drains on the sunroof are plugged up. Use caution when attempting a sunroof repair. It will cost about $1000.00 for a fix that went bad. Toyota has a few Service Bulletins on Moon/Sunroof problems.

Finally! A town garage found that the tire sensors were bad. Other places did bad jobs of replacing them even after they were done with Toyota parts ones new sensor ended up being defective! I hope this 3 year aggravation is over. As for the car dying as I drove. My town garage seemed to maybe have resolved this as well. He took the top of the engine off and put it all back. Somehow him messing with the new non Toyota coils seemed to have fixed it! Toyota themselves never was able to figure out either problem. Interesting.

1,510

OK...Sounds like you found a good local garage mechanic. Nice. Do you recall ever getting a RECALL notice concerning your Gas Pedal? Unintended acceleration was Toyota's concern. Another Safety Issue. Let us know what other interesting events happen on the vehicle...and...thanks for the update.

No I didn't get a recall. On my the gas pedal.