2007 Camry won't start when warm

50

Asked by Feb 21, 2017 at 02:56 PM about the 2007 Toyota Camry LE

My camry has developed a issue starting in the past month. When the car
is driven around and re-started 2-3 times, each time it gets slightly harder
to start. After about 3 times it no longer fires up. It will crank and struggle,
but not start until the vehicle has cooled down (about 35 mins).

-It always starts strong when cold.
-If you repeatedly turn the engine off and on within a few seconds, it will
crank and fire up most of the time. But if you let

It has a CEL for Catalytic Converter. I replaced the crankshaft sensor but
no fix.

49,545

Try replacing your ECT sensor. If no luck there, clean your throttle body and IAC with throttle body cleaner. Check Youtube for how to vids. Also try to clean your MAF with MAF cleaner. Post back with results......

4,420

I suspect a fuel delivery problem. Next time this vehicle fails to start...smack the bottom of the fuel tank with your hand. A fuel pressure test is in order.

50

A buddy of mine smacked the fuel tank, which didn't help starting. Neither did priming with the ignition key. I'll get the fuel pressure test done.

4,420

Typically what we do is install a fuel pressure gauge and a scan tool and road test the vehicle. We bring along a spark tester and a noid light to check fuel injectors pulses and spark during the no start event. You might suggest whomever checks fp...to also check EXHAUST SYSTEM BACK PRESSURE. A bad cat could be the root cause of the issue.

50

Many thanks! I watched this video and the knocking CC can be heard in my car too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zovqAeGspTs It's the exact same sound, and only when you rev it.

70

I have a 2007 camry every 3 or 4 months when i cut the car off it won't start back up till after 20 minutes

50

UPDATE: Codes and symptoms say it's my MAF sensor. I cleaned it and that helped for a week. I think it's faulty....

4,420

OK...good diagnosis. Do not forget to check the PCV system. A dirty oily MAF means that clean air going into the engine is contaminated with oil droplets from a faulty dirty PCV valve or hose. What Engine in this vehicle? Is this engine consuming a lot of motor oil?

50

2.4 L 4-cylinder on a 2007 Camry LE, which has long been known for the oil consumption issue with this engine. Yes, my vehicle goes through 1 quart every ~200 miles at highway RPMs. I'm not kidding. No oil leaks...just bad pistons from my understanding...

4,420

Bingo......you are correct. Toyota will fix that oil burner for FREE...if it has less than 150000 miles and is less than 10 years old. You might consider running your Vin and get a history on previous owners and repair history....an...most important......when the vehicle was first sold. If all else fails...there is a Class Action Lawsuit you can join. Let us know your thoughts.

Deep my car didn't have this oil consumption problem. At first the dealer said it didn't know anything about it. My car has 270000 miles and they suggested buying a new one. It was the manufacturer that sent me a notice just out of the blue saying that was an oil consumption problem. When I contacted the dealer again all of a sudden they knew about the problem. I had to document the consumption problem. After that they schedule it for being fixed at their full cost.

James Did you ever find the problem with your car? I have an 08 Camry that is experiencing the same issues of not being able to crank after the engine gets hot.(20-30) min. The MAF sensor, crank shaft, air filter, spark plugs, and coils were all replaced. We are still having the same problem and literally can’t drive to the local gas station without leaving the car running.

4,420

Ala.....when you indicate your vehicle will not crank....does that mean it sounds like the battery is weak or dead....or....the vehicle cranks over well....like the battery and starter motor are good....but the engine will not fire up...start?

After I try cranking after 4x’s it pulls all of the fire out of the battery..After spinning for so long it drains the battery completely. The starter, alternator, motor, and battery were tested and I was told they are all good , but with the constant spinning the engine will not fire up until the car cools down completely.

4,420

Ok...engine cranks but sill not fire up...start...until the engine cools down. When the engine does start up are there any warning lights on or flashing. have you had the computers on this vehicle Scanned for codes? Some Auto Parts stores will do this for free?

50

After replacing damn near everything, I had the mechanic put in a new fuel pump, which fixed the problem. I still can't believe a faulty fuel pump could limp along for 4-6 months without failing completely. Even the mechanic agreed that it usually doesn't "half work" for so long. Toyota made that part very well.

50

And FYI...at one point when the car wouldn't start at all, a buddy of mine sprayed MAF sensor cleaner into the throttle body while I laid on the gas. It was a hail-mary, but the car fired right up. Unbelievable! I imagine starting fluid would also work.

4,420

Wow...ok....i to am surprised with the FP being the root cause of this issue. Good luck and keep us up to date.

I’m having issues with my Toyota Camry year 2007 . It starts right up when cold but doesn’t turn on when hot . So you are saying if I replace the fuel pump it will start working again ? I’ve been through a lot of hell . This is a lot of stress

Hello everyone after replacing the MAF sensor, coils, spark plugs, air filter, and crank shaft sensor the car is still doing the same thing. I will be purchasing a foul pump today so I will let you guys know how that goes.

4,420

Upon reading the above posts it seems you have a similar issue. However...why not explore the cause of your problem for free..rather than spending money on a quess. The next time you get this vdhicle running...take it to a Auto Parts store that will Scan your Computers for trouble codes. This way we can have a better idea of what might be the root cause of your no start issue. AUTOZONE....provides this free service. Record the Codes...both the ID and Numbers. Get back with results.

I meant fuel pump.

I have a 2009 Toyota Camry that’s experiencing the same trouble starting when heated or hot after running many errands. Yes the car is well cared for and tuned every year with oil change regularly. I say to Toyota that knows what’s happening and causing this to recall this repair and fix it now! Or I leaving Toyota and start buying Nissans Maxima. And telling all my Camry friends to to the same.