i have 1991 astro van

Asked by Oct 22, 2015 at 08:55 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet Astro LT Passenger Van

new fuel pump and junk yard ecm still no injector pulse. also my check engine light no longer lights up. no sure if the light has just burned out or not. last time i got code was map. and tps. the map has been replaced, is it posible for the tps to stop it sending the pulse? i do have spark and if fuel is added to the tbi unit manually it will start but dies shortly after. you can keep it running by spraying carb cleaner into as well. but ofc that makes driving it a bit hard to do :P. any ideas

65,245

I can help a little on this... So it does have spark since it will run with gas dumped down the tbi. No injector pulse, so no fuel. Hard to say with you replacing the ecm. I know there should be a fuse for the ecm, have you checked that? I am assuming there is no power to the injectors.

65,245

It is possible the tps is bad since it sends a signal to the ecm letting it know how much voltage to supply to the injectors.

8,570

Chances are you will never get that engine to run until you get the coded key The new ECM has a different anti-theft code then your old unit and you will be an-old-old man before you get that engine to work

65,245

Thats right, I forgot about that, the security system shuts down the pulse to the injectors...

ok, i had no idea about the security system even doing that.

Thank you for your help.

is the system like the vats system? this is a 1991 and i cant seem to find anything for that year

almost forgot, i went out and put the old ecm back in and its still the same problem.

65,245

Why did you replace it anyway? And did you check the fuse for the ecm? I'd keep old one installed for now, unless there is a good reason you wanted to swap them.

the fuse was blowing almost as soon as you turned the key on. however i do believe that was the bad fuel pump i replaced at this point. i still have the no injector pules after changing them back. ive been looking forward to checking grounds today. i have already check the relevant connectors.

65,245

Let us know, and blowing the fuse is a short somewhere...