I have a ticking sounds when I start my engine but it starts out kinda faint, but when it starts to warm up and I start driving it, it gets louder and faster.

Asked by Nov 24, 2015 at 10:41 AM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab SB

Its a constant kinda ticking sound like metal
is loose and hitting somewhere constantly.
I've been told it was a lifter rod either stuck
or gone bad. Any suggestions and low price
solutions ??

i would try oil change and add a qt of transmission fluid to it its possible you may have a lifter sticking ...

Agree,lifter tap.

Yes, I'm inclined to agree, you're probably hearing the noise like a tapping noise, familiar on pushrod engines using OHV technology. OHV technology has been eclipsed in recent years by OHC technology. See the link below that explains the difference between thsee different engines, very good explanation, http://mechanics.stackexchange.com/questions/8134/what-is- difference-between-dohc-and-sohc

Changing the oil more often can help clean out deposits causing the lifters not to pump up completely. You might try a couple of changes at 2,000 miles each.

OK, but, worn lifters will make noise. I really don't see how extra oil changes will help this, but, you can try.

Mark - hydraulic lifters take up the lash between the cam and the push rod. When the oil passage in the lifter gets gummed up, the lifter can't get enough oil flow to take up all the slack and you get noise. If that oil passage can be cleaned up and proper oil flow restored, the noise goes away.

Best Answer

So what is my best solution ?

I don't know what is "best" but my recommendation is to do several oil changes every 2000 miles with a high detergent oil. If it works then great. If if does not it cost you next to nothing.