i have a 1991 chevy 1500 with a z4.3 motor thats a 6 cylender.... i can get it to start and run but it will not stay running it just shuts off without a sound ni sputter or anything help me

Asked by Nov 18, 2013 at 08:07 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab SB

10,835

I would jump right on the ignition control module and/or the pick-up coil. Both are in the distributor. The ignition coil is about $70 bucks and you can change it yourself. The pick-up coil is a little out of a beginers reach. When the ignition module gets weak you will lose both your spark and fuel. Are you a do-it yourself person, I can walk you through it. Even if it's not the module it should be replaced. Mine average about 100k miles.

i changed the ignition module already

10,835

And that made no difference. When it starts to act up and dies do the injectors spray fuel while you are cranking the engine over. If they stop i would check the pick-up coil. If they are spraying but the volume is low check your fuel pressure. Here is where I start. Fuel filter (cheap and easy if you have line wrenches use caution with regular open wrenched). Check the fuel pressure regulator (built into the back of the throttle body) they plug. If these look good I would suggest getting a fuel pressure gauge before digging into the fuel tank. Those pumps are not fun to change. If it's not fuel or spark eehhh! So did it do the exact same thing before and after the ICM change??

well it floods. bad i change the coolant temp sensor but i pull it off and wiggle the wires then put it back on it holds an idle i dont know were to get a fuel pressure gauge

10,835

I have never had an ECT effect the fuel like that. So it's flooding, then after you wiggle the ECT wires it stops flooding and idles. Nothing else is touched while you do this? I from Canada so the stores are different. I think we got ours at NAPA. Scanners suck for OBD1 computers. I did buy a usb to OBD1 cable w/ software for $70,00 off e-bay, it's supposed to read all live data from these and all other OBD1 ECM's. I can let you know how it works when I get home in a couple days. That would help narrow it down if it's a computer/sensor issue. The guess and check method sucks.