1992 chevy silverado dash lights

Asked by Sep 19, 2015 at 03:45 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Standard Cab LB

1992 chevy silverado  the dash panel lights will not come on.we have replace
the fuse, replaced the headlight / parking switch, replaced the dimmer switch,  
.also when the headlights are turned on the lights for the heater display go
out. any ideas......(my tail lights are working headlights are working) thanks

8,420

Are the cluster's bulbs burnt?

( they are good)

all new bulbs

8,420

Fuses are good in both boxes and pass with a test light, there's power to and thru them? Theres power to the cluster to light the bulbs? Then some ground fault. Is the schematic showing ground is made by the switch? or made by the harness. you can see your schematic on autozone website. id the truck and be sure the schem is the correct for the vehicle. I am looking.

8,420

Several things a technician must do. Every fuse passes a test light ? yes or no ? panel dimmer raises and lowers illumination of any component and the dome light ? yes or no? These new bulbs, they are powered and grounded by pins 29 and 31 is power and ground present at 29 (power) and 31 Ground? But bulbs dont light? send cluster for repair. No ground? check instrument panel illumination ground. or provide a ground you create. No power pin 29? check fuse 14 AGAIN. There are possible issues with cluster taking a pounding for 20+years./ printed circuit/ connection to the cluster/ and it can be true that illumination was sought by a stereo and alarm tard. The wires could have been crimped onto, spliced or ghettoed for an aftermarket accessory. There are also stories and wonderings here: www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-300903.html. There are many little short/ open/ground fault/cluster break in connectivity/ and cluster connector stories. labor for these issues. 110 an hour. Your fastest tech is MR. Goodwrench. if you have to send out your cluster for tiny repairs? GM parts counter can advise local. Used parts can be a Godsend sometimes at a u-pull-it type yard. Sadly the fix can be many things. courage and tenacity are what to pray for. Simplicity is best testing approach. Voltmeter and test light are cheap nowadays, like 4 bucks each. A good ground reads less than 1/2 ohm amongst and between body, frame and engine and B- battery. long leads can be made from an extension cord knowing the courage and tenacity are already ours. Again, your fastest, most experienced help is the GM dealer.

ok thanks i will check

8,420

oops,, connector views show pins 12 and 13 connector views show pins 12 and 13 are illumination. The broad year schem I saw, said 29 and 31, For those the i suppose finding the legend or the key to the schematic can help. they can be circuit numbers for warranty i.d. Then they know what circuit to blame and its a faster find I expect. I am still looking at all the ones I can for ideas.

8,420

cluster conn. "C2" shown right of C1 has gry wire pin 13. , then, wires for ground are pins 2, 7, and 12. I expect the connector to inpect first is towards the passenger side of the cluster back, and see if you find the gry numbered on the connector plastic 13. thats illum power switch on and rheostat for panel dimmer turned up. if agent 13 is in there, we could be too smart for our own good.

8,420

I lost the schematic in my computer after un clogging it. If there is no power on that gry wire, then we have to trace further. There can be other fuses, like, maybe an "illum fuse" fuse 10 in the left instrument panel area? If there are other fuse centers in your year truck, please test power to and thru all. Turn the key on and operate the lightswitch and turn up the dimmer. let me know if any other lights on the truck or inside illum are involved please. .................(92 silverado inst illum inop, lose heat display when h. lights are turned on)

8,420

(headlights and taillights are working)