1992 C1500 4.3V6

5

Asked by May 19, 2010 at 10:57 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Scottsdale Extended Cab Stepside RWD

So I went out last night and my 92' 4.3 WT wouldn't start.  It turned over just fine.  I could hear the fuel pump turn on when I turned the key to the ignition position.  I popped open the hood and could smell that I flooded it.  I think it may be electrical in nature since the GM Replacement motor has only about 65K on it and I know it is getting fuel.  Could it be the plugs/wires or distributor?  Any other suggestions where to look or how to diagnose?

5,085

I would suggest checking to see if the fuel pressure regulator is working, for instance there should be a vacuum hose connector if you disconnect it and smell gasoline the regulator could be leaking. It may not be a bad idea to replace the fuel filter if it has not been changed. Also you may want to check under the throttle body housing to make sure that fuel injectors themselves are leaking. A way to check this would be to see if any fuel is collecting in the intake manifold under where the throttle body housing is and then to several key on key off cycles without starting the engine, by doing this you are priming the fuel system with fuel, to see if the injectors maybe leaking.

10,675

Honestly man.. It really can be anything.. Could be getting too much fuel.. Not enough fuel.. Incorrect spark timing.. Not enough spark.. Incorrect vacuum.. Honestly... Anything..

5

Thanks for the responses... I messed with it yesterday after work. It wound up being a corroded wire from the coil to the center tap on the distributor. I got a new wire temporarily but really need to do the distro cap, rotor, plugs and wires.

10

I would check ignition coil.