I have a 93 Chevy Silverado 350 tbi stock engine and I'm looking for a cam and have no idea of what to get and I want it to sound mean as hell what kind of cam should I get?

Asked by Dec 22, 2014 at 12:50 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Standard Cab LB

14,305

What are you looking to do with your engine? GM has a lot of cams for different applications available and at reasonable prices. There are a lot of good after market manufactures of cams to chose from. Go with a well know product. You also may need to look at valve springs and other valve train switch outs depending on what you get. Do you home work and decide on what your looking for, what it will do, and what is recommended be replaced with the cam you buy. Will your valves clear the pistons if the valves travel deeper into the cylinders? Valve vs. piston slapping will destroy your engine if your not careful. I used flat top pistons with a 64 cc head and a max street cam. I had only 0.001 of an inch clearance. I had to go to a de-tuned cam, losing 19 HP, but saving the engine from destruction. Be careful.

18,485

The way a tbi engine operates you can't get a lumpy cam. Those are the ones that sound "mean". The engines need vacuum to work. Just get a mild one. If you want the sound you'll have to go carbed, keep in mind that you have to build the rest of the engine for it to be beneficial. Its worse to throw a lumpy can in a stock engine, you may actually lose power.

1,535

Contact Crain Cams & tell them what you have.

14,305

Crain Cams? you can't go wrong there. Good people to help. Also look into Edelbrock and see what they have to offer, and go to your Chevy dealer and ask to look at the racing parts catalog or ask a KNOWLEDGEABLE parts man about what Chevy offers as aftermarket products for their vehicles. Don't take their word as gospel, but see what they have to offer.

1,535

*Crane Cams

14,305

Spallen wasn't mi stroung sute in skoole.

1,535

I rebuilt a TR-4 Triumph once with oversized pistons, tube headers, & big Jag' side draft carbs. Crane Cams hard faced over-laid my stock cam and machined it to a performance profile (cam lobe ramps) duration & lift. I just gave them the cars weight, tire size, engine, etc. spec's & they "re-profiled" my cam. This TR-4 was so fast I would beat much bigger cars! My 6 cylinder buddies would pull me over & count my spark plugs to make sure it was a 4 cylinder!!!

14,305

All the other top cam manufactures do a lot of tests and also can match what is wanted. Don't get stuck on one cam is all I'm suggesting. There are others just as good or heavens forbid, a bit better? Can't tell you which one that would be, but do the background work before laying out the bucks so you will not be disappointed later.

1,535

I am a retired aircraft mechanic! I understand cam profiles, lift, duration, & overlap. Years of school will do that.

14,305

Jet engines have cams?

1,535

No, but to get trained you must go through steps of recip radial piston & opposed engines. Crawl before you can walk to run senario. My A. & P. F.A.A. / D.O.T. license is first Airframe & second Powerplant all types piston & radials to turbo jet to high bypass turbines. I guess I should have mentioned that.

1,535

My first A. & P. class was to dis-assemble a Contenental 4 cylinder aircraft engine, take measurements, I.D. bag & tag it, re-assemble it, & start it on a test stand. Mine started right up. Cam & magneto timing was crucial! See?

1,535

Oh, my 1969 Camero SS 396 turbo 400 automatic trans, turned 13.00 flat in the 1/4 mi. Not bad for 1969. Loved beating up on those Hemi's.. Later with a crate 427" L88 in the same car it went 11.52, two tens off the record.

14,305

OK, all joking aside, I'd re-read Andrew's answer and go from there. Then my question to yo, what is it you want? As James has stated, you can get anything you want at Alice's restaurant and auto parts store. Got money? If its the "lumpy sound" you striving for, dump the FI system, go carb and cam. You also can spend between 8 to 12 grand and get a monster cam inside a monster crate engine.

1,535

And a high lift long duration racing cam needs special high compression notched pistons or the valves hit. A decent hydraulic roller lifter cam will give you tons of torque (284 degrees duration) forget bad ass lumpiness, just go for tons of torque.

14,305

Yes, as I said at the beginning, I was too cheap to throw away my new pistons and get the notched pistons. As a result I de-tuned my car. Still beats the first Z-06 Corvettes w/405 rwhp. That was before dump9ng in a new 5 speed. Got the dough? Get the go.