Loss of power, battery draining leading up to severe miss firing and back fire

Asked by Nov 06, 2015 at 02:55 PM about the 1993 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Indy Pace Standard Cab SB

Problem came on suddenly.  I made no changes or additions to the truck.
Then the voltage needle dropped from center at about 14 to less than half that.  Had the battery/alternator checked they said the battery was bad.
Same problem occurred.  Called my mechanic he suggested replacing the alternator.  I did with a new (not rebuilt) one.  Same problem occurred.  One thing I forgot to mention occasionally maybe one out of five times at the beginning of this the voltage needle would go back to normal about 14 and the truck would run fine.  But recently it has not gone back to normal and battery is so discharged that I have to jump it or put it on a charger to even start it.  I am a do it yourselfer  so any suggestions?

Make sure all the electrical connections are clean and there is no corrosion. The fact that it works sometimes leads me to believe it is a bad connection.

The battery is new I cleaned positive and negative sprayed it with WD40. The alternator is new the connections are clean. I don't want to rewire the truck, what other connections should I check?