Why wont my Tail Lights work???

185

Asked by Oct 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet C/K 1500 WT Standard Cab LB 4WD

My 1994 chevy 1500 brake lights, head lights, front parking lights and front and rear turn signals work......TAIL LIGHTS do NOT work.....have checked fuses and bulbs.....What could the problem be???

130

If you have checked to be sure there is 12V to the lights check further to be sure there is a solid ground path.

185

No i havent yet....ordered a new switch from Napa......will check that in the morning when they get it. If thats not the issue, i will use your suggestions.....Thanks for the reply.

8,365

my guesses, switch, corrosion on the connector, bad ground, or loss of power on the feed wire for running lights...has to be one of those,

185

Well John.....gonna check the switch in the am.....bad ground or loss of power a little harder to deal with but has to be checked....Thanks Bro!

8,365

let me know if i can help more...

185

Will do...

185

The switch was not the fix this am......The main wire harness connection at the 3 way at the rear of the truck was not clicked in tight....Go figure!....Had all lights but Tail Lights with this condition...I snapped it back and put elec tape to be sure it didnt work loose again....All is WELL NOW!!....Thanks for all the replies.

70

I have had that problem frequently with my '92 1500. Problem may likely be corrosion of the copper wiring inside the snap-on connectors (if you have them) where the connector blades pinch the copper conductors. Too much pressure from the blades can cut through the wire strands. Eventually, the last strand break off at the pinch point and there goes the circuit. You can trace the problem by turning your headlights on, then going behind the bumper and wiggling the wiring at different connection points while an assistant standing behind the vehicle tells you if and when he sees the tail lights come on. It is a problem that you can probably fix your self using a pair of wire strippers or a utility knife (be careful though), new snap connectors and safety glasses if you don't mind using a creeper to slide under the rear of the truck's bed. However, your local full service U-haul dealer can probably assess the problem for you for free. Repair may run around $30 for about an hour's work depending on where you live. Also, check your ground wire connections in the wiring harness as well. These problems can often result from the installation of after market trailer wiring harnesses where improper connections have allowed corrosion to enter the wire at the splice points.

10

Check the ground Wire under the bed in the back. Maybe re-strip it and wire it, It might of gotten corroded. Also check to see if you have a short or bad fuse.

240

i replaced the swicth on my breaks and the break lights are stll not working what can it be

100

My 94 Chevrolet headlight don't work ball the other lights do...what can be the problem

170

I have 1997 Chevy s10 brake light and hazard light won't work. Turn Signal works and I change the turn signal switch and brake switch. I checked the ground around under bed. It looked good and I cleaned. So I was wander what else I could check. Thanks

770

My tail lights are not working so are my interior lights and my dash board lights.please help me!!

50

My 2007 milan mercury brake lights and signal work, but not my parking and tail lights. Do I need a new a whole new wiring assembly?

40

I searched for this problem, found this, and wallah, same cure!!!!! THANKS YA'LL!!!! """""" Gotta94Chevy answered 2 years ago The switch was not the fix this am......The main wire harness connection at the 3 way at the rear of the truck was not clicked in tight....Go figure!....Had all lights but Tail Lights with this condition...I snapped it back and put elec tape to be sure it didnt work loose again....All is WELL NOW!!....Thanks for all the replies. """"""

110

My 1988 C2500 break lights and running lights stopped working. This happened 3 wks ago and fuse was blown so I replaced it and they worked a day then back off. Took it to mechanic and they was working and have been last 3 wks till tonite and same problem!! Checked fuse and its good so what else could it be????"

440

I have no tail lights my brake lights work my turn lights work. What do I do

130

94 silverado, no tailights. When I replaced fuse it blew right away.....dead short. Any ideas where to start looking?

10

I have a 97 Chevrolet 3500 that the running lights work on the front and not the rear. Brake lights work and blinkers work. I have checked the ground and it's good. If I unplug the harness at the rear and check it I have good voltage but when plug back in the hot wire gets hot then blows the fuse. What else should I check..

100

I have a 94 Chevy c1500 5.7 v8 i got brand new head lights but now my guage lights radio interior lights and tail lights dont work

10

did u blow a fuse, check fuses, possible overcharge or shorting in the wire

30

I have a 98 chevy k1500 extended cab and im a mechanic and i cannot figure this one out, put a circuit breaker where the tail light fuse goes so i can monitor when it blows it seems to blow when i go over 32 mph or sometimes 42 mph now lately it has been getting gradually worse been blowing at 18 mph and the circuit breaker will kick it back on when i slow down im stumped , have new circuit boards in the tail lights checked all bulbs ane replaced all, checked to see if it would blow with the rear trailer wiring unplugged and it still did, when i replaced the front running lights/turn signals it worked for two days then started acting up again, ive tried everything any ideas??? Direction on what to do next? Anything would help!

20

My dash and all running lights stopped working. Fuses were good, I took my headlight switch off and ran a wire from the power (red wire) to the dash/running light (brown wire) it worked, swapped out my switch... end of story... hope this helps.

20

I have. 91 k1500 and guess what...Yesterday on my way to work guess what my instrument panel lights and my radio died. Did not know my tail lights quit too at that point but sure enough to they quit working too...so after checking fueses, an hour of research, $20 for a new head light switch and a few screws...my truck is all lit up again. Funny how one little switch makes a diff. I am a single woman and fixed this all on my own...I have to thank everyone on here for the idea of the switch though because I would have never thought of it...may not be the fix for everyone but sure is worth a shot. Best of luck to all with lighting issues!

same prob. bad grnd at rear license plate. thanks for the thread!

10

When I wiggle my switch just right my running lights will come on but then after a while go off. I changed the switch just now and they won't come on at all. I'm kinda confused any help will be dearly noted.