I have a 95 chevy 1500 5.7 I have just changed my icm and my ignition coil and I'm still getting no spark

Asked by Dec 02, 2015 at 08:33 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Standard Cab LB

What is the next step I should take

43,675

The coil pick up under the distributor cap, the round thing with the points on it.

43,675

You would need to take the distributor out to change it. Make sure you mark how the distributor sits, take note where the rotor is pointing in order to get it back where it belongs. Check timing afterwards, to do this there is a brown with black wire under the glove box that would need to be unplugged to set timing.

Thank u I appreciate the help that was the direction I was heading I have the ignition components for the distributor that plug into the icm but the rotor on my distinct or is pressed so I can't even change that part

43,675

Those rotors are tough to get off sometimes, just wrap your fingers around it and pull straight up. It is just a very tight fit. I put dielectric grease on the shaft before putting on the new rotor.

I wish I could show u a picture of it so after I take the cap off there's that plastic t on the top I took that off then I come to the circular thing and I have tried so hard to take that off but to no avail will it budge and the part goes right under that so does the icm is that call the rotor if so my uncle is going to grab a device that will hopefully take that whole thing off

43,675

No, No, NO...To change that pole piece, (magnetic coil pick-up) the distributor has to come out! Then the distributor gear has to be taken off the shaft. then that hole piece will pull out. Get back to me with questions...

Ok I'll keep u updated thank u for the help so far

Ok so I changed the distributor and it is still not starting still cranking but no start and they have new spark plugs

What would be the next step

I got the firing order correct also

43,675

Ben a bit hey? well anyway, so you replaced the distributor with a new one that has a coil pick-up and the new ignition control module, and you have a new coil? How did you align the distributor when you put it back in? Wondering if you would be 180 deg. out.

Yes all new and I put the new one in the exact way the old one was in

43,675

And of course the distributor is all plugged in, along with the coil, And the firing order starts with #1 on the cap being just left of the hold down screw most out front of the cap (looking from front of motor), then wired clockwise using the correct firing order. I have to verify all this to know for sure where you are at.

Yes correct it is all in the correct places and I even had a buddy double check

43,675

Have you checked for spark coming out of the coil? Is there spark there.

Not yet I have no spare spark plug no more money atm and no wrench for the old one but it sounds like it's sparking tho a couple of times it sounded like it tried to start but it just couldn't

43,675

Well all you have to do is pull the coil wire from the cap and put it by ground to see if it sparks, don't need a spark plug, BUT do not hang onto the wire while cranking on the engine, lay it down or use insulated pliers or something.

Oh ok I will try that when my roomate gets home and tell u the results

43,675

This thing should fire up. I am getting tiered, I am on eastern time, let me know, I get up early and will reply, In the mean time, check your fuses. There is one for the pcm or ecm what ever, and one for the ignition. be back in the am.

Ok sounds good

Have a merry christmas

Ok so yes I have spark let's say I didn't put the distributor all the way in the exact way I the old one was in would it affect it

43,675

Well it must be, just got to get this right, it will start if there is fuel...Timing needs to be kinda close for it to fire. Then you set the timing once it is running.

43,675

Remove the spark plug from the #1 cylinder and put your thumb over the spark plug hole. Have a helper bump the starter until you start to feel compression building (pressure under your thumb). Once that happens look at the timing marks on the front of the engine. Once the timing mark on the crankshaft pulley is lined up with the large cutout on the sawtooth timing scale stop bumping the starter. Mark the location of the #1 spark plug tower of the distributor cap on the distributor housing. Remove the distributor cap and position the distributor rotor at the position of the #1 spark plug tower. Slowly install the distributor and note how much the rotor moves as the gears mesh inside of the engine. Now remove the distributor and set the rotor position again making the allowance for the rotor movement when the distributor is installed. Install the distributor again and lightly tighten it down. Install the distributor cap and spark plug wires making sure you have the correct wires on the correct towers. Now have your helper crank the engine as you slowly turn the distributor assembly one direction then the other until the engine starts. Make the final ignition timing adjustment using a timing light.

I'm not having any luck with this distributor what so ever I did that trick and found top but still no luck and this is for sure the only reason it's not starting and I'm for sure getting spark

43,675

Distributor seated all the way down, meaning the oil pump shaft is aligned to fit into the bottom of the distributor? What shape is this motor in, have you done a compression test?

Yes it's all the way down and the compression is ok and the motor is in not perfect shape but it's not beat up and all destroyed everything's where it needs to be

43,675

Ok, so we have covered the spark issue to death. You have spark so now I have to assume you have the distributor set-up right. Need spark and fuel, so check the fuel pressure. 9 to 13 lbs is what you should have, and leave the gauge on there for good 3 minutes to see if the pressure bleeds off. Take note on this when you do it. If you do it, The motor should run. Change the fuel filter first.

Ok I'll update u after I'm able to do that

Ok so I decided to turn the distributor a few times and to my surprise it did start it was a rough start but it did start and then I put my foot on the pedal and it dies and idk y

43,675

Sounds like you may be a tooth off, but if there is enough adjustment in the distributor to get to the proper timing that would be fine. Timing is set at "0" on the timing tab on that one, and you need to unplug the timing advance to set the timing. It is a brown with black line wire located under the glove box.

Yes I do know where that wire is I just need it running to drive it to where I can use one but I'm charging my battery on trickle so when I wake up it'll be able to have a nice start hopefully