Fuel Pump Relay Ground Connection

55

Asked by May 07, 2015 at 10:33 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Standard Cab LB

Truck stopped running, it will crank and idle for 3-5 seconds and during that time the
injectors are firing but barely any fuel coming out. Checked power to the fuel pump
relay and all was good, moved onto checking the operation of that relay and found that
the coil was not getting properly energized. It was getting 12 V to the coil but still not
working. Being an industrial mechanic my entire life it was obvious to check the
ground which of course was fine .2 Ohms resistance from the ground prong on the
relay base to the ground on the block. So out of the assumption i was getting a good
ground i went ahead and bench tested this relay to see if i was truly getting a good
ground to energize the coil to close the contacts and sure enough bench test was
good. Now I'm on the search for the end of this ground wire to make sure nothing else
is connected with it, and wouldnt you know it seems to never end :-) Anybody want to
save me some time and tell me if they have already located there location of the fuel
pump relay coil ground? I have installed a temp. ground  to get the fuel pump to run,
also had to replace oil pressure switch. I'm suspecting a lack of fuel pressure which i'll
be testing saturday when i'm off work but just to be sure i need to verify that this
ground connection is not shared with anything else. As of right now the truck still has
the same symptoms and i've come to find many, many spliced wires within the wiring
harness which were not properly spliced. So before i button up i'll have to repair these
splices as well. If you have the answer to this ground location it would be greatly
appreciated.

55

Anybody? I'll make you a deal. First round is on me if you help me finish this up before the sun goes down saturday...lol

55

Well i found where everything is connected. Long story short i found the Ground wires all spliced together. There were 2 leading into the cab by the PCM which were both spliced to 4 more grounds which distributed though the wire harness. The splice was located on the left hand side of the distributor, just after the before the harness clamp which is located on the passenger side firewall. All together i had 5 wires spliced in this location and the connection was corroded as well as 1 wire barely connected which was the one i had in question.. All my ground problems are taken care of now.