Can I run a 255/75/16 tires on a 1995 chevy silverado 4 x 4 ext. cab?

Lori Archibald

Asked by Oct 13, 2013 at 07:02 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Standard Cab LB

Must front and back tires be the same exact size?

Driver's door jamb will specify the sizes and pressures....stick to that label for the truck to do what it's engineered for~

Yes front and back must match on a 4X4 or you risk messing up the 4 wheel drive.

front and back need to be same outside diameter. width doesn't matter. and that size tire should easily fit.

Kurt Burton

I was able to fix 315/70/16 under my 1994 K1500 without any problems. Had them on there for over 5 years.

Kurt Burton

And there was not a lift kit on the truck either.

wow kurt nice look i just buy silverado 95 4x4 and my friend told me you cant put 275 75 16 and you up 2 inche i told me is maximum after you need lifkit

....or course the speed sensor will not report the correct mileage to the odometer...and the vehicle speed will be incorrect too----I'm just sayin'~

Kurt Burton

The speedometer will be off slightly, depending on what size tires you run on how far off it gets, so original tires are 29.5-30 in tall and you replace them with 33in tires. That's 10% slower so at 60mph, the speedometer reads 55mph, its not hard to figure out at all,

you know that it's fraudulent and illegal to be reporting THIS mileage as correct....when you are selling the thing~

Kurt Burton

Well Mr. Judge_Roy, learn your facts 1st this old of a vehicle is exempt from mileage. 2nd, they make these things called programmers you can buy to make the speedometer right that you apperantly never heard of so mileage will be correct. Why are you so hell bent on someone NOT modifying their vehicle. People can modify their vehicles in so many ways. Have you heard of SEMA? I see your post all over here and some of them show you are not really an current automotive mechanic, more of a old timer that can work on older cars. I am ASE certified, I do work on newer vehicles for a living. I worked at Chevy dealership. I also live in IL and 20 years of salt rusted the frame on my truck so I sold it as a parts vehicle and made the buyer sign disclaimer that said they knew truck had frame rust damage. I am very honest and dont ever insinuate I am not judge_Roy.

If the truck came with 265-70-16 tires from the factory the 255-75-16's are almost exactly the same height. This will not affect any thing. As always you should match the same size on all 4 tires .

Hey Kurt, does those tires rub at all? Like maybe when you turn the wheels all the way one way or the other?

Kurt Burton

The tires did not rub on my truck, maybe once or twice when offroading it really hard in the several years I had it. My truck did have the 1500HD option which was pretty much unheard of at the time so my truck did have an extra leaf in the back springs so it did sit slightly higher than normal k1500. And I did adjust the front torsion bars, they are adjustable up to about 1.5 inches before you notice a ride quality difference. Now if you measure tires, one 305/70r16 can be a lot difference in size than another brand. Different tires have different size shoulder blocks and those are not measured in tire size. And if someone doesn't agree with me here on tire sizes, you can go straight to tire rack and check tires of the same listed size but the spec sheet will show you actual size can be as much as 1 inch difference in tread width. Now also different rims have different back spacing and that will also make a difference on whether a tire will rub. And of course vehicles can very a bit so what does fit on one vehicle without rubbing may rub on another if the exact same model. I had a 93 K1500 suburban that I put these exact same tires and rims on and on the suburban. The tires rubbed the plastic air dam on the front bumper so I did trim that. Other than that the tires did not rub on my suburban either.

Ok, thanks man.

Warren Ingram

People should also know if you raise the torsion bars you will need to get the vehicle realigned due to the fact you've changed the factory height & suspension geometry.

Kurt Burton

Yes Warren, thank you I forgot to mention that. I didnt do an alignment on mine and the tires worn out perfectly even, but i have seen others that had tire issues so it is always a good idea to do the alignment.