Can the ABS valves get stuck shut?

Asked by Aug 11, 2014 at 02:50 PM about the 1995 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Standard Cab Stepside SB

I have a 95 C1500 extended cab 5.7ltr. I started having trouble with brakes one morning
in January, there was some ice on the road that caused my abs to go off. After that I
noticed that i had no brakes when i went to pull into a gas station, luckily i wasn't going
fast and was able to use E brake.
So i assumed it was the rubber brake lines had deteriorated and caused the fluid to not
return or something. It was a cheap easy fix that needed to be done anyways. When i
went to bleed the lines i could not get any fluid. I only was able to bleed the front right
wheel. so i took it to a shop with a pressure bleeder and they promptly told me to
replace master cylinder and brake booster. So I did and i still cannot get fluid past the
abs. Is there anyway that when the abs fired it could remain closed somehow? Since
then I took it to a different shop and asked if they could bleed the brakes and use a
tech tool to cycle abs. when i called to check up they informed me that they were
installed a different abs that they got used. Am I getting screwed?

100,415

If there was water in the brake fluid and it froze in the abs unit it could have jammed the valving in the ABS unit, a used part will be cheaper than a new one but they can also fail. They most likely could not get your unit to cycle during the bleeding process that is why they went the way they did. as far as getting screwed, we all are by allowing all of this junk under the guise as "safety" in the good old days we pulsed our own brakes to prevent tire locking and stopping on icy roads was a lot more controlled manually than relaying on a computer to stop us. Don't get me wrong, some of this stuff works but most of it is just unwanted or unneeded garbage. We could send them all a signal and just quit buying new cars, that will make then sit up and take notice.