1996 chevy silverado wont start

70

Asked by Nov 09, 2015 at 09:43 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Extended Cab Stepside SB

I have a 1996 chevy silverado 5.7. Won't
start cold. New fuel pump and filter, reads
61 psi at fuel rail when trying to start, but
drops to 10 psi in 5 mins when off. Tried
spraying starter fluid no response at all.

71,305

The fuel pressure should not drop more than 5 psi., it should hold at 56 psi if you checked 61 psi for at least 3 min. So it sound like you have a leak under the plenum. It could be an injector, lines, or the regulator witch are known to leak. (fuel pressure should be 56 to 62 psi)

755

Have you checked for spark or compression?

755

It should have started though when starting fluid was applyed

67,285

Check for spark next. The fact that it won't run on the starting fluid tells us either there's no spark (an ignition problem) or no or low compression (jumped timing). HTH. - Jim

70

Don't know if this works, but I put an old spark plug in each wire and set it by a ground ( not all at once) and tride starting it and got spark on all the wires. Don't know if it was enough spark but I did have one? No I have not done a compression test.

70

New spark plugs and ignition coil. Still no start. Distributor and rotor is bout 8 months old and look good no cracks or crosion. Have not replaced the wires but only 8 months old.

70

It has been rough to start all last week but I'd eventually get it, and it run all day. Even cranked it up saturday. But it rained all day sunday and when I went to crank it Monday morning it would start tried for 30 min and nothing. Also if this helps it was acting up here lately when I got to 45 50 mph and coasted it would studder a little.

71,305

Fuel pressure can act like this, like I said, check fuel pressure...Not to say that you don't have a weak coil...like mentioned above...

70

I did and it was 61 on and off it declined to 15 in about 5 mins

71,305

There is some sort of control module that controls the spark... this also would be a cause...

71,305

Ignition control module...

71,305

Oh ok, there you go, there is a leak under the plenum, more than likely a fuel regulator, typical, or the spider lines and or an injector. It is spendy but it is recommended to replace the regulator with the spider lines.

71,305

One more check on the fuel, check a dead head pressure to the fuel gauge, this will tell you if there are any leaks from the fuel pump to the intake. You should read and hold 60 to 67 or so lbs.

71,305

That is to the fuel pressure test gauge.

70

Regardless of the fuel issue. Shouldn't it still do something with starter fluid? Which leads me to believe I'm not getting a good spark

755

Yes unless u don't have spark or compression ur problem may not be the fuel delivery issue at all it maybe just a small problem with a larger problem at hand check for spark and also check for compression

71,305

Yes sir, it should fire right off! Not to say there is not a problem there like the ignition control module, if you look at the spark across a spark plug, or pulling a wire, the spark should be white. A weak spark will appear orange. Regardless of the fuel pressure...

70

Well don't understand why but changed the wires and ignition rotor and she fired right up. Still like to know why my fuel pressure isn't holding

70

Those parts weren't even a year old

67,285

Awesome!! Glad you're up and running again!! You may have a check valve in the fuel supply line. Older GMs, like my '93 Caprice for example, did. Newer GMs, like my '03 S-10 Pick Up have a check valve incorporated into the fuel pump. This check valve should, literally, hold the fuel pressure for months. HTH. -Jim

5

i think it might be check valve in fuel pump,cycle key 3 time and try to start it,if it starts right up it is the fuel pump