why does my 96 k1500 5.7 liter run fine for 10 minutes then start missing and dies? it won,t start again for about 4 hours then does the same thing.

Asked by Feb 13, 2015 at 01:12 PM about the 1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado RWD

The two most common problems is the fuel pump relay or the Pass Lock security system. Most posts I have read say they cured the problem by putting in a new ignition switch. Have also read that there is a large vacuum line on the EVAP box behind the gas tank. Check that for leaks. Sometimes it's due to an old battery or corroded grounds and battery cables. It sounds to me that you have something malfunctioning which is sending the wrong message to your computer. It seems like when your engine reaches max temp, is shuts down until cool, then restarts. You must have a failed component that is telling the ECU that the engine is cold when in fact it is hot. This will cause a rich fuel mixture therefore flooding out the engine. Pull your plugs and see if they are all black. If so, you may have a failed radiator temp sensor, ambient air sensor, or Idle Air control valve. EGR valve could also be bad. If your check engine light is on, you should have the codes read and see if you can narrow down the possibilities.

Thanks for your input. The only time I get a code is when I try to keep the truck running after it starts missing then I get a oxygen sensor code. It seems like it starts missing on 1 cylinder at first and the engine revs up a couple times and then more cylinders drop out and it dies