My truck temp gauge is maxing out...

Asked by Feb 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM about the 1996 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Standard Cab SB 4WD

My truck radiator burst this week.  I noticed the check gauges light on before it did.  I replaced (w a used one) and noticed temp gauge is still maxing out.  I confirmed fan is working and then replaced thermostat.  The gauge is still maxing out.  This truck is old and I don't want to put a lot of money into it.

47,775

Is the gauge correct? Is it actually getting hot? Also describe what happened to the radiator. It may be possible that you have a bad head gasket that overpressured the radiator.

It blew at the top corner where the plastic is. It was severely cracked and blew steam everywhere. I don't know if the temp of the radiator is overheating or not. The gauge climbs really fast.

18,545

When it climbs it should start bubbling over into the overflow tank. If it's not doing that and there is coolant in there then the gauge is lying. Be careful and don't blow your truck up.

65,705

Sound,s like it could be a bad water pump,or as bob said,head gasket issue.

Well, it appears the radiator fluid is leaking into the gasket area since my oil cap appears orangeish (dexcool is orange) inside the cap. I don't notice it so much from the dipstick, but it has to be the problem. I guess that caused the blow up of my radiator originally. Next step??? sell, scrap?? any suggestions?