Enine Swap

Asked by Oct 27, 2016 at 06:44 PM about the 1997 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Extended Cab 4WD

In need of some good advise please!!
I have a '97 Chevy 1500 Cheyenne 4x4, manual
trans. It has the 305 vortec v8. Really wanna
keep this truck. What motor should I/can I put
in it?? I'm on a moderate budget. Don't need
anything BIG. Would like something powerful to
play around and work with, and beef up over
time. Not tryin to turn this into some huge
costly swap. Any good ideas?

Most any Chevy engine of the same generation will work. If you have smog checks pay attention to keeping it smog legal. A L31 5700 might be a good choice.

I've never even heard of smog checks. Lol How do I go about swappin a 350 Motor in it, do you know where to start? I have no idea to be honest.

What state are you in? In a lot of states you must have the emissions checked every year or at least when you sell it. Look at crate engines from Chevy. http://www.chevrolet.com/performance/crate-engines.html

I'm in Michigan. We don't have kind of emissions checked ever. Just need legal plates n tags. Lol That's what I was gonna do.. but was thinkin bout buyin a decent 350 from scrap yard, or some guys I know that em for sale for cheap. I have no idea what to do... Really not wantin to spend a whole lot right now. But over time buildin it up a bit...

Holy shit those er expensive!! NIce.. but way more than a few hundred bucks for the motors on Craigslist. Lol I wish.

Roll the dice and take your chances with a junk yard motor. If you have never swapped an engine get a buddy who knows what he is doing to help you out.

Good luck!

well you can swap 350 5.7 center bolt, everything will mock up right in place, since there work horse engines, you might want to rebuild the new engine, because is hard to find one, that is not very worn out, or you can use, your existen block and go 383 stroker on it, you can use oem parts for this because the kits are expensive, por the hell off the heads, headers, msd ignition parts, and you wold get a beast, out off the old school 350 i did it, and on the cheap, and i was surprise, even better mpgs, and if you go manual, even better, you got on your hands a tire slayer!!!!! behemoth!!!!!