98 Silverado starts up fine runs intill running temp and then dies

Asked by Feb 07, 2017 at 08:08 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Extended Cab RWD

I have a 98 Silverado 5.7 start an runs fine
until running temp dies won't restart until
after it cools down..... has new crankshaft
sensor camshaft sensor new coil pack,  
distributor and button oh and inition Mod... I
check the fuel pressure seems to be
fine...been at this for 3 weeks...need help

87,355

What is the fuel pressure?, it should be 56 to 63 lbs.

It's at 60 turn of the key stays around 55 when running

87,355

Ok that is good. Is the check engine light on? And try cleaning the Mass Air Flow Sensor and screen. There is a special spray to do this. Have you checked for vacuum leaks? Re-torque the intake manifold to 15 ft. lbs.

No check engine light.... I use carburetor cleaner check for vacuum leaks none that I could hear no to the intake... did not clean MAf...but check with multimeter

I pulled spark plugs and left and right Bank lots of carbon buildup chocolate color

87,355

RPM's of the engine would have picked up if there was a vacuum leak. You have replaced the important electrical parts and fuel pressure seems good. How about doing a fuel bleed down test? Checking to see if the spider injection is leaking?

87,355

Chocolate color is ok, normally it is white. May be leaking spider injection.

No wasn't real sure on howto bleed down test I know my fuel gauge don't drop right away after shutdown I left gauge on overnight and it dropped about five PSI that was it....

87,355

Then that is not it. Fuel bleed down test was real good. Getting tired, let me sleep on this?

Okay thanks and the spark plugs that was a typo should have been charcoal Dura black carbon buildup

87,355

That helps. There is a fuel air issue going on, just have to figure it out.

N e other advice on this truck...i made sure the intake was good ...just out of ideas. .

87,355

Well...Normally I would say the Ignition Control Module and have that checked, which I think you should. Engine heat will affect them if they are bad. When you put the ICM in did you use the dialectic grease on the mounting surface? This is to dissipate heat from the ICM.

Yeah i did.... the little grease that came with it I seen a video on a 2000 with a sensor located back by the transmission like up under the starter.... crankshaft sensor I change the one in the front of the motor don't know if there's one on the back...was going to check it tho!!....

87,355

I was talking about having the Ignition Control Module checked. I know it is new, but the symptoms fit. The one in the distributor....

I have noticed with my truck on Startup the RPM moves.. but after it's warmed up and won't restart the RPM gauge is Dead won't move it all. ...

It would be really nice to know what the out come to this is. I have the exact same issue and can not figure it out. Replaced icm, IC, distributor and rotor, throttle position sensor, crank shaft position sensor, fuel pump and filter. Still same issue. After it runs to warm running temp it dies and won’t start until it cools down.