98 C/K 1500 won't start

Asked by Dec 18, 2014 at 09:00 PM about the 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Silverado Standard Cab SB

It's a plow truck. It sat for the summer, in the fall I dropped a new battery into it and
topped the fluids off and it started right up on the second try. It was about 60 degrees
out. I let it run for a half hour, then moved it to its spot for the winter. We got our first
real snowfall last week and it wouldn't start. I sprayed starter fluid directly into the
throttle body and tried to start it and it didn't fire. I stuck a cotter pin into the end of a
plug cable and it did spark off the engine block. It has fired a couple times when
cranking it over, here and there, although I don't think any of those times was when the
starter fluid was used. I've tried starting it in 20,30,40 and 50 degree weather. Any
pointers about which way to go next would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance,

78,525

Have you checked the fuel quality? This stuff they call fuel just doesn't have any shelf life.

It might be a good idea to put a fuel pressure gauge on the fuel line at the engine and check for fuel pressure. It could be as simple as a clogged fuel filter .If the vehicle sits for awhile, fuel stabilizer and starting it weekly is a must, to prevent no starts.You can also prime the fuel pump, turn off key and press in schrader valve on fuel pressure line to help bleed the line and see if fuel is reaching the engine.This will cause gas to get on top of the engine so use caution.You might wanna Check your return and vapor and pressure lines also.If any one of these has rusted it could prevent fuel flow from the tank.I would also check all electrical connections at the injectors.

Thanks for the replies. I'll check the schrader valve later today. But if it's fuel causing the problem, shouldn't it fire when I use starter fluid directly into the throttle body? (I do open the throttle when I spray it) I tried starting it this morning and it fired a couple times right off the bat but it didn't start. I'm charging the battery as we speak.

Also, it's "dieseling" every after every time I turn it over.

Also, when I'm cranking it, every 5 seconds or so it stops and goes "thud" and then continues cranking.

I just checked the schrader valve. Fuel shot out of it.

78,525

Sounds like a basic engine problem, pull the spark plugs, see if they are wet, if they are check your ignition system ie cap, rotor, plug wires, repair what is bad, you should run a compression test at this time, check and make sure the cylinders don't have any fluid in then before the compression test, if there is fluid find out if it is fuel or coolant, if fuel repair leaking fuel injectors, if coolant remove cylinder head to find out why and repair, if the above checks good then continue to run compression test to find out if the compression is good, if not it could be bad rings or cam has jumped timing.