Hard start

Asked by May 13, 2016 at 12:33 AM about the 1998 Chevrolet C/K 1500 Cheyenne Extended Cab LB

Here lately every time I cut my truck off I
have to pour fuel down the tbi to get it to
restarted, after it starts it kinda ok,
sometimes it stalls every time I put it in
geAr an hit the gas, most of the time is
okay, but say I get on it hard it bogs down
til i ease the pedal up an it revs up.

Hi I would get a fuel pressure test kit to test your fuel pressure if your pressure is low then I would replace fuel filter then check fuel pressure agin if your pressure is still low then most likely it's your fuel pump or your fuel pressure regulator or an injector you can rent the pressure test kit from a parts store also if this was helpful or you have any more questions just let me know thanks.

18,800

Sounds like you may have a dirty TBI try adding some fuel injector cleaner to gas tank and use middle grade gas occasionally if you use the low grade gas all the time also change fuel filter if have not done so in awhile then take for a ride and hit the passing gear a few times this will clear out any gum and carbon build up in the engine.

I was hoping it was the filter so I changed it and didn't help I've had many people tell me many different things, I haven't checked my fuel pressure but the fuel pump itself I changed 3 years ago, I think I got ahold of some contaminated gas, I've run injector cleaner in it doesn't seem to help at all, the engine light stays on so I run a check an at auto zone it pulled a p00420 they saying converter, which I'm 90% sure they are infact clogged but would that keep it from starting? I'm thinking a fuel Issue hoping not the spider,

I took it to o Reilly's an let the hook it up and they pulled up all kinda stuff from oxygen sensors to converters to an I can't remember what els, my exhaust from the converters back is got more holes in the pipes I sound like pulpwood truck I know that's not helping the matter

71,275

What size is the engine? There is no TBI set up on this motor. Last year for the TBI set-up was 1995. It is a Multi-port Fuel Injection system on a Vortec motor. These guys are on the right track for diagnosing the problem. Check fuel pressure at the Schrader valve up on the intake, fuel pressure needs to be 58 to 63 lbs. You start getting under 56 lbs fuel pressure, it would be hard to start until it will not start at all. While the fuel pressure gauge is built up to pressure, let it sit for 3 minutes, fuel pressure should not drop more than 5 lbs. If it does, then there may be a leaky spider injection problem.

18,800

Yes a clogged converter will stop the vehicle from starting.

71,275

P0420 CHEVROLET - Catalyst System Low Efficiency Bank 1.... Possible causes - Three way catalyst converter Bank 1 - Exhaust tube - Intake air leaks - Fuel injectors may be faulty - Fuel injector leaks - Spark plugs may be faulty - Improper ignition timing - Powertrain Control Module (PCM)... As the code description implies the P0420 code means that the vehicle's control module has detected that the three-way catalytic converter is not working properly (is not as efficient as the factory is expecting). Replacing the oxygen (O2) sensors may sometimes fix the code, but in most cases the catalytic convert needs to be replaced to fix the problem. If the P0420 code is combined with other codes, try fixing the other codes first.

It's a 5.7 it's not a tb I'm not positive what they call what they out on this model it's round that the black Box goes over that has vortec on it,

If I do away with my converters will my engine light stay on all the time or is there a way to ignor that code

It just started acting up its always fired right up til recently, what about if my battery isn't real great anymore, it'll turn it over fine but I have had to get boosted quite a few times also, even with 2 batteries but never from trying to start up, mostly from leaving the radio on too long

71,275

You need to have the cats on in-order for the 02 sensors to properly tell the computer how to adjust for the proper air/fuel mixture. Light would stay on, and the motor would run rich and be a gas hog. If a cat. is plugged up the motor would be holding back when you are trying to accelerate. You can check for a plugged up cat. by getting the motor up to operating temp, pull over in a dark spot and look under at the exhaust at the cat's. One would be glowing orange.