Replaced water pump truck won't stay started now any help?

Asked by Jun 16, 2016 at 06:28 PM about the 1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 LS 4WD

Hello,

So I have a 99 Chevy 1500 C/K series, the water pump went on it and I've replaced it (prior to the pump going the truck had no issues at all).

After replacing it I attempted to turn the truck over it stayed started for maybe 20 or so seconds before dying out this has continued to be the issue since replacing the pump it'll turn over and run for 20 secs or less if that. I seem to be hearing from a lot of people it's the timing that needs readjusted because the pump went, however no one seems to be able to tell me how to go about that and I can't seem to find anything online to help guide me.

Any instructions as too how to do the timing on the truck would be wonderful and if what I've described as the issue doesn't sound like the timing any advice would be more then welcomed.

Thanks and have a good one folks.

370

Double check your water pump. certain Chevy trucks they have counterclockwise pump vanes and clockwise pump vanes make sure you installed the same type that came out of it

Same style pump that came off it went on it, though it was an early issue due to the fact this pump is fit for the belt too go over it the pumps that everyone kept trying to sell me didn't have a place for the belt. I've checked fire, fuel, and compression also all 8 sparks are good fuel pump is good and I have compression also put a scanner on it got no code. Not sure if that could be due too the fact I can't get it too run longer then 20 or so seconds or not though. It does seem to struggle too get any RPMs on the gauge when it does start for those few seconds if I touch the gas the RPMS just tank and truck shuts off.

370

What motor is in a 5.7? Also did the service engine light come on? It's possible you knocked a vacuum line off. If the truck got too hot it could have blown a head gasket that will call the same issue. However if the crank position sensor had gotten any coolant on it when the pump went out it is a possibility that the crank position sensor needs to be replaced. If you did not remove the timing chain for any reason I don't see how it's jumped time. Let me know what motor you have.

Best Answer

It's a 5.3 liter V8 (Vortec) The vacuum line is in place still, when the pump blew it was pulled over right away and towed home still had water pouring out and wasn't showing hot on the gauge. As for the crankshaft position sensor is there a way I can check if that's gone bad before replacing it or would replacing it just be the way too tell? Also I did nothing with the timing just replaced the faulty water pump.

370

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/4.8L-5.3L- 6.0L/how-to-test-the-crank-sensor-1 This may help.

370

http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/4.8L-5.3L- 6.0L/how-to-test-the-crank-sensor-1

370

You will have to copy and past, sorry.

That link was perfect it was just what I needed, it turns out the issue is the CSP sensor. Thanks for all the help!

370

No problem, glad it's running.