1999 Chevy Suburban STILL not running

Asked by Nov 24, 2012 at 11:08 AM about the 1999 Chevrolet C/K 1500 LS 4WD

1999 Chevy Suburban k1500 138,000 miles 5.7 L Vortec engine
vehicle was driving perfectly, accelerating smoothly, plenty of power prior to this, even driven that morning. stalled at
red light on 11/1/12 and has not started since.
no backfiring, no sputtering, no misfiring, no skipping.
sounds like it wants to start, but will not turn over
new battery
new plugs
timing chain tested by getting the #1 cylinder up on the compression stroke and rotor button sitting on #1
cylinder/plug wire and it is working
all fuses working
getting good white spark
ignition modulator replaced
throttle position sensor replaced (handheld scanner threw only this code)
fuel pump has 62 psi
sending unit appears to be working
will not start even when spraying ether on it
security light is on and steady when trying to start

Could it be:

crank sensor?
camshaft sensor?
spider injector?

No its the security system. I'm pretty positive its identical to all the GM cars but I might be wrong and if i am, trying this won't hurt anthing. Try to start the truck and then release the key and leave it in the on position for 10 minutes. The security light will go off after the 10 is up. After the light goes out turn the key off and retry starting. It may start up or you may have to go through this process 2 more times for a total of 30 minutes. Make sure the battery is fully charged and it would be great if you had a deep cycle trickle charger. Like a 2amp while it sits with the key on. The security system disables the fuel injectors.

I'll try it! Thanks! The security light is on and steady when I try to start it- no flashing....

Some don't flash till a little bit after you try to start it and it sits.

I do have a battery charger that I can attach to the battery during this- I will try this tomorrow morning.... thank you

check starter and wires going to it

Hey dogmanaev, this question is over 9 months old bud, and if it was the starter or wiring to it then the issue would be the engine isn't turning when the key is turned.

Miguel Velasco

I have a 1999 4x4 chevy suburban 5.7 that wont start was runnin and just recently stoped i put a new distriborator,cap,modulator and electric plug that goes inside put new plug cables and still wont start

google newrockies.com its a security bypass for gm cars. I have a 1999 as well and I put this module on it 3 years a go and runs like a top. fix is like 200.00 and a few hours work under the dash.

Valentine Charles

My 99 Suburban would run for half a second and shut off... I thought it was the fuel pump... When it acted up, i shut the key off and tried again. When it wouldn't start I shut the key right off. Meanwhile I got out and tried jumping the fuel pump relay, got back in and it started. Drove home fine, put the relay back in and it ran fine again... thought yep its definitely a fuel pump. A few days later it acted up again. After playing with the relay it started again. So I replaced the fuel pump. A few days later it acted up again. Ran half a second and shut off... this time I left the key on and noticed the security light was flashing... had I left the key on long enough when it didn't start before, I could have saved myself the cost of a fuel pump. I got a new key from GM (non chip type) saw it had more teeth than my old one, and it worked fine for a few days, then back to running half a second and shutting down. Just for fun I coated my key with graphite lube and worked my new key in and out and on and off... I'm on my third week with no problems. I don't know for sure that my problem is fixed but so far so good. If I have any further problems I will be most likely installing a bypass from newrockies.com ... I have heard that the security feature can be turned off in the ECM but that the security light will stay on. That may be something else to check into.

I have a 1999 Chevrolet Suburban K1500 4X4 5.7,152,000 miles, just got it 2 months ago,dude I bought it from said he put a new gas tank,staps,and fuel pump in it,and new battery ,now I had to do a few things to it since day one,new exhaust from manifold back to exhaust tip,radiator, oil change and full tune up. Which is air filter, rotor button distributor cap spark plugs spark plug wires,and ran like new,a month later it started having issues starting, so I go through the trouble of replacing, and mind you,after each part replacement it still has the same result wants to turn over but doesn't start,I replaced the crank sensor,fuel filter,fuel filter relay,ICM,checked to see if the coil had spark,it did,so didn't replace the coil. So for shits and giggles I checked to see if the fuel filter was acually new,so dropped the tank and low and behold there was a few problems, it wasn't new,imagine that,the previous owner dubbed a little, the tank was new but didn't replace the fuel pump,and came across a couple of other issues while looking at the situation, one of the fuel valves was broken and also the sensor on top of the pump,the wires which is the 4 wire configuration weren't all hooked up, only 3,he didn't hook up the purple wire which is to the sending unit, and the factory wires looked a little burnt ,replaced the broken pieces,and stripped back the burnt wires as far as I could without it being to hard to resecure the tank. The fuel pump has that beautiful sound of it working,but still no start,so I'm really scratching my head about this awesome vehicle, I love the truck but would be nice to get in it a start without me having to shoot starter fluid in it before I start my day,now mind you,after a ether start in the morning some days it will start no problem throughout that good day on the other hand some days I have to shoot either and it what I need to go back and forth throughout the day. Can someone give me an intelligent answer or response to what I should try next before I spend thousands of dollars taking it to a dealer when I love to figure and fix things out myself at this point I'm asking for a little help