can a 4wd 4l80e be used in a 2 wheel drive truck? The main question is what would it take to use a 4l80e out of a military Humvee in a 2wd c3500? Thanks

10

Asked by Sep 12, 2015 at 06:59 AM about the 1993 Chevrolet C/K 3500 Reg. Cab 2WD

74,765

Well, I guess you could modify to make it fit, you would need the mounting cross bar for the tail shaft from the 4-wheel drive, then also the driveshaft, still may have to modify it, and the u-joint on the differential yoke may be 2 different sizes between the yokes, but you can find that at the parts store. Then not use the 4-wheel drive and let the transfer case just be there. You would have to look to make sure there is enough room for this trany. Just have to look to see if similar, I like modifying things.

52,725

I am thinking the tail housing and the shaft are different. If correct this will require complete dis-assembly of the transmission and some parts. Probably not worth the effort.

Best Answer Mark helpful
74,765

Ya the tail shafts are different, I was thinking you could put the hole 4x4 trany in, What do you think there Bob? Worth the effort, no I agree. but that was not the question.

52,725

If you put a complete 4x4 transmission in a 2 wheel drive truck wouldn't you have to have the transfer case mounted so there was a place for the drive shaft to connect? I'm just not much on cobbling things together. I would rather spend the extra dollars and do it correctly one time. Of course not everybody has the extra dollars to do this with.

74,765

I am the same way, I like mods to things that belong in place. But other things are possible. (Rat Rods) The transfer case would just be there but no drive shaft to the front axles. Drive shaft to the rear still comes out the center, rear of the trany tail shaft housing. There is a tail shaft housing on 4x4 trany but different that the 2-wheel drive trany. Who knows the reason people want to know out of the ordinary things, they are just asking.

10

Thanks for the help, I know that there are a few transmissions that the only change that needs to be done to use the transmission in ether a 4wd and a 2wd is a tail shaft change and rear cone change. I wasn't sure if the 4l80e was one of them or not, that's what I was trying to find out. Thanks for all the help.