1992 Chevy Lumina Euro 3.1L 4 door. Every time I put my car in amy gear it stalls. I have been told alternator, map sensor, tcc solenoid, and intake gaskets. I unplugged mymap sensor and the car stayed running. I was told it should shut off. Help me please

30

Asked by Feb 17, 2014 at 11:45 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr Euro Sedan

I lost a job because it stalls out

261,695

Check for vacuum leaks. How long ago did you do a tuneup, aka spark plugs, filters, etc.?

Sounds like your timing was set without disabling the MCU. If you don't override or disable the MCU while setting the timing, you end up running to the end of range that the MCU can compensate for, kind of like backing it up against a wall. Procedure: Check your timing spec. There's a label on the passenger side strut column that tells you what your factory specification timing should be. Mine is 10 degrees before TDC (Top Dead Center). Yours will probably be the same. Near the same column is a female electrical connector sticking out from the split loom (wiring harness). You have to make a test jumper so that you can ground this electrical connection, which disables the MCU. Loosen the bolt securing the distributor just enough to freely rotate the distributor (13mm socket, 4"extension, swivel adapter, ratchet). Hook up your timing like to the battery and the #1 cylinder"s ignition wire (spark plug wire). Start vehicle. Point timing light at main pulley, and pretty much expect that your timing could be as much as 50 degrees before TDC. Dial the distributor in until you are set to factory specification, then shut off engine. Remove timing light, tighten down distributor clamp, remove test jumper, and happy motoring!

Hook up your timing light* to the ...