When running on freeway all is well until I slow to a stop.It won't downshift or disengage and remains in high gear to the point it kills. So I unhooked plug on side of tranny.

25

Asked by Apr 09, 2008 at 10:00 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr Euro Sedan

Is there a quick fix other than going internally???  THANKS!!!

6,845

My 93 did this, needed a tranny overhaul.

42,555

Could be your torque convertor clutch solenoid, if you unhooked the plug and that fixed it, you need a new TCC lockup solenoid. $40 from dealer, +/- 2 hours labor to take the side cover off the transmission. Remove wheel on driver's side, remove side cover, replace TCC solenoid, replace gasket for side cover, replug trans plug, and you will be fine. If you're not mechanically inclined have a mechanic do this, as you do have to loosen one screw on the valve body and make sure it is torqued down properly when you're finished.

Best Answer
25

Thanks. Sounds somewhat simple. I'l give it a shot and let you know. I know with this remedied, my gas mileage should be a heck of a lot better.

1,025

how long did you drive with tcc unplugged. This is probably what burnt up the tranny.