Why is My 92' 3.1 chevy lumina running rough

Asked by Apr 08, 2014 at 11:06 AM about the 1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

The car starts and idles fine SOMETIMES. The main problem though is when driving.
The car spits and sputters while accelerating and even when maintaining speed.
Backfires a lot and there is a lot of back pressure coming through. when the car
sputters and jerks there is a bad exhaust smell that comes through the front of the car.
It shuts off on me all the time driving or sitting still.exhaust expert told me the catalytic
converter has already been gutted and we have replaced the plugs, wires, map sensor,
and iac valve. Been having this problem for a while now and just don't know what to do.
Troubleshooting codes it gave me are 23, 33, 42, 43, and 45. HELP ME PLEASE!!!

475

Try running it on a higher octane fuel, So long as it's a petrol motor, It might burn cleaner. It could well be the converter too, They can get clogged up with crap after a while. Have a look at the heat shield around the converter and see if it looks melted or burnt an rusty, That's a good sign that it's getting too hot cause it's clogged up. At that stage you might want to replace it.

I have the same problem