I have a 92 Chevy lumina 3.1 engine, and it wont start without starting fluid. Once started u can shut it off and wait for around 30-45 min at the latest, and it will start with no problem. If u wait longer u have to use starting fluid, could it be the fuel rail? Also its running rich in gas and shoots black smoke out of the exhaust if i idle the engine at a high rpm. Im stumped!

Asked by Mar 06, 2013 at 11:26 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Lumina 4 Dr STD Sedan

96,925

I don't think it's the fuel rail. It's running rich but you need to use fluid to start it. It will restart if it's warm. I would say to get the codes read but it's a '92. -- How new are the spark plugs and wires?

1,305

Rich = Fuel to Air Ratio - Too Much Fuel, Not Enough Air ....... How does the engine run, when it is running? smooth? rough? ....... Pop the air filter duct off the throttle body. Do Not Use any Starter fluid. Attempt to start the engine. What Happens? ....... Make sure you give the entire engine the standard visual inspection paying close attention to the wiring and vacuum hoses. ....... If you get the engine running, listen closely for any unusually loud hissing sounds. ....... Get a Haynes Manual. It will tell you how to read your codes, and what the codes mean, it's handy to have anyway, when troubleshooting ....... Hear are links that will tell you How To Read Your Codes. Have a paper clip handy. ....... Just for initial info., Code Twelve (12) will Flash first. That just indicates that the ECM is working. It will Flash again, when all the Codes have been reported. If you only get 12, over and over..... then there are no other codes set/present. ....... Just make sure, when you turn the Key, don't turn it all the way to Start, only Turn it to ON (Key On Engine Off - KOEO). ...... http://www.troublecodes.net/GM/ ....... http://www.kennedydiesel.com/readcodes.html