I have a black wire with an orange connector that comes out of what looks to be turn signal switch, can someone tell me what this wire is or where it connects?

Joshua Katinsky

Asked by Feb 01, 2015 at 07:18 PM about the 1991 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Silverado Extended Cab SB

If everything is working I wouldn't worry about it. Just tuck it up under the dash. It could be for an option that your truck doesn't have. My '93 Caprice, which I bought brand new, had a wire for a power antenna. My specific car didn't have a power antenna but the wire was still there. HTH. -Jim

Joshua Katinsky

not everything is working. I have no brake lights and no turn signals now.

Oh, ok. Check the brake light switch first. The brake lights and turn signals are tied into each other at the turn signal switch. HTH. -Jim

Joshua Katinsky

already replaced the brake light switch and it didn't change anything. any other ideas for me?

Follow the wire and see where it goes. If it is for the turn signals there's a black wire that comes from the turn signal switch to a flat connector at the base of the steering column. Perhaps it backed out of the connector. HTH. -Jim

Joshua Katinsky

The wire does come from the turn signal switch but its a short wire so it would have to go somewhere close to the top of column. I have all the wires connected on the column itself. I am just lost with this one wire.

With the ignition on see if there's voltage on that wire. Use either a test light or volt meter that will measure 12 volts DC. If there's no voltage on the wire it's probably a ground wire. If that's the case you can connect it to anything, not painted, under the dash. HTH. -Jim