I put a 383HD in my 94 Chevy K2500. It had 400 miles on it when it blew both head gaskets. Dealership condemned the engine as being assembled incorrectly by the factory. Installed second. same result.

55

Asked by Apr 05, 2014 at 08:58 AM about the 1994 Chevrolet C/K 2500 Cheyenne Extended Cab RWD

Both head gaskets blew out in less that 15 miles this time. I pulled the O2 sensor and found it was wet. My suspicion is the catalytic converter was plug by the first failure but wasn't addressed when the second engine was installed causing the back pressure. Any suggestion? Comments, questions or complaints would be helpful.

113,815

O2 sensors being wet is not uncommon when head gaskets blow, I am hoping that who ever is doing this has replaced the O2 sensors as they don't like antifreeze, they should do an exhaust back pressure test after the engine is installed and if that checks good then do a relearn on the computer system and recheck it for codes, when I replaced engines I always rechecked the torque specs on the rods, mains, cylinder heads before I put them in, I got bit once by not doing it and had to remove the engine I had just put in. HTH.

Best Answer Mark helpful
25,365

I don't know about recalls or factory assembly problems?! wow- is this the GM factory? sounds suspicious to me- like the dealership is just guessing- if that's a factory engine, installed by the GM dealership, you must have a warranty- and it is basically THEIR problem once you payed the big bucks- why would you "pull the O2 sensor" and be messing around with their work? That makes YOU liable- if you question the CC then have it replaced- discuss it with the mechanics- but it sounds to me like an overheating problem if the head gaskets are blowing- if they can't fix the truck with a factory engine, man, it may be time to get rid of the truck and move on-