Fuel, Choking

Asked by Feb 06, 2016 at 04:30 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier RS

I have a 92 Chevy Cavalier. After starting it
runs a few minutes then starts to smell rich
and chokes out. I think anyway. What to do?

380

How long since a tune-up? Any applicable trouble codes? Your obd1, you should be able to check some codes, yourself. To check codes, you use a jumper wire between the A & B terminals at your datalink connector, then turn key just till the dash lights come on, no further. Hopefully the mil on the dash starts flashing, you count the flashes to get the codes. Your looking for two digit codes. If a fuel issue, use a gage and check proper fuel pressure. Where applicable, check fuel pressure regulator vacuum line, if gas in it, the regulator is faulty. You could have a leaking fuel injector? Also, check the coolant temp sensor, that could cause your engine to flood, if faulty. Don't replace anything unless your testing points in that direction.