My 1990 AUDI 90, timing belt failed now my no.5 cylinder does not fire. could he valve be bent?

155

Asked by Dec 02, 2008 at 04:44 PM about the 1990 Audi 90 Base

5 CYLINDER, NG engine, non-interference, hydraulicalilly operated valves,. Timing belt cut while in motion at 40 KMP. Milage was 250k! I bought the car 2 1/2 years ago with 180KM on it. I have enjoined driving t his car until now. I have since changed the belt. The car starts, but shkes heavilt as though there is adjustment problem which was not the case before the incident. Fuel injection, engine management and ignition systems are in perfect order. Now the mechanic says i have to remove the top; never had to and had used this car no to want to have such problem. I feel like i have to dump this car for good.

10

Check to see if the cam is still timed correctly. A compression and/or leakdown test should tell you if there is valve damage. Like you said, it isn't supposed to be interference, but maybe something broke in there and caused the belt to snap? Might be cheaper to get a used engine if the head has to come off. Good luck, I have a nice collection of bent Audi valves.

Would be interested in knowing your outcome -- my '88 90 is in a similar situation. Thx.