92 camaro (350 carburated)

Asked by Jan 19, 2016 at 11:46 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

I have a 92 camaro that was converted too a 350
carburetor motor. The car runs fine in park or
natural.  But dies as soon as I put it in gear.  What
are some possibilitys too fix this problem?

96,825

The most common problem for dying when placed in gear is a locked up torque converter. How much electronic modification was done after the swap?

Idk. I got this car in a trade. So Idk much about the car, The motor sounds healthy. But I can't figure why it keeps dying. How much dose a new stall converter run me? And would I get a 92, stall converter. Or a 79 since the motor came out of a 79 truck? As soon as I get the car moving it won't die until I come to a stop

96,825

Classic locked up torque converter symptom, you will have to find out what tranny was put in it, there should be a build tag on the tranny and that will tell you what trans it has. I am thinking that they would have put the truck trans in with the engine otherwise they would have to have done some ring gear and some electronic work to get the 92 trans to work with the older carbed 350 engine. Man that rig is going to be the pits to get inspection stickers on if your state uses them for license.

11,520

If you can locate the electrical plug on the tranny for the tcc (torque converter control solenoid), then unplug it and see if the problem "fixes". if so then it is likely the tcc. also, you can drive this way but your torque converter wont "lock" at highway speeds and you will lose fuel mileage and shift more often.

22,695

I don't see how that butchered up pile is worth wasting the time to even log on to this site- amazing-

96,825

Now Jamin be nice. The site is for everyone who has a question.

I'll get the bolt pattern off the pan and check to see what transmission is in it. But would timing, be an issue, or maybe vacuum leak, or carburetor?

96,825

You ruled that out when you were able to drive it once it started rolling.

Ya I didn't think it was timing cuz it will drive after I get it rolling. Hell I don't even have to give it gas. Just let it idle while rolling and it won't die. It only dies when it comes to a complete stop. So after all that's been said. Are u still leaning more toward the torque converter?

96,825

Yep. I did a little research on using electronic transmissions with older rigs and found that there is a manufacture that makes a control box just for transmission control and it is adjustable, so you might take a look and see if it has electrical plugs going into the large flange that the pan bolts too, they will be located on the passenger side of the trans just about midway of the tranny, if there are none then it was put in with the engine from the truck.

Sorry. I just got off work. But when it stops snowing I'll get under the car and look for that. If there isn't one. Would there be any other solutions? And could I get the web site u got the info off of? I really wanna get this car running lol. If I could find away to post a pic. I could show y'all the car. And you would understand why I want to get it running hahaha. But thank u all for the information. It helps a lot!!!

96,825

There are a few out there, I used the performance automatic.com site, towards the bottom there are some links for videos and instructions. Or you can just search, automatic transmission controller, on google or Bing or whatever search engine you like.

22,695

ok- I apologize if I stepped over the line- but I only wanted to express my opinion that this car is just a waste of time- amazing that anyone would find this vehicle worth it- see, my advice is to Let It Go-

11,520

I know Jam, but people all have reasons. I am the proud and sometimes unfortunate owner of a 91 chevy lumina sedan. It was my parents car that we inherited. It is the family teenager car. With some pain, it runs pretty good, is excellent on slick roads and is paid for. It is on its 4th and final teenager. maybe then we will get rid of her.....