1992 Camaro was barely Running, all this started rush hour last Wednesday. got progressively worse within an hour. within 30 min undrivable. Parked at idle, if u hit the throttle by hand it makes that starving for gas sound.

30

Asked by Aug 12, 2015 at 01:30 PM about the 1992 Chevrolet Camaro RS

1992 Camaro was barely Running, all this started rush hour last Wednesday. got progressively worse within an hour. within 30 min undrivable. Parked at idle, if u hit the throttle by hand it makes that starving for gas sound.Replaced fuel filter, map sensor, Tps switch, fuel regulator.As most people know it's hard to hook up for a fuel pressure test to these tbi units. So I haven't checked the pressure but there is fuel flow and typically fuel pumps just quit. This one is pumping.I'm at a loss. And I guess in denial that it is the fuel pump.That was Monday.This is todayI bought the fuel pump yesterday and was all prepared to tear it apart. I had to try and drive it to move it to where I wanted to work it about 100 ft away. it didn't make it, now it wont even start.problem has gotten progressively worse. I had hoped the pump had quit completely. It hadn't. The fuel is still spraying out of TBI. So I got a thought to get some starting fluid to see if it would then fire up. Even a car with NO gas will fire then. NOPE.Im starting to think my instincts were right and its not the pump. I put a spark tester on it and its really light and it does have an aftermarket coil on it, maybe it took a crap?

109,635

Change the aftermarket coil and see what happens at this point its a crap shoot anyway...

30

yeah that was part of my thoughts. Driving me crazy. Especially as I had finally talked myself mentally into doing the fuel pump. Coil has been in there for two months or so. New ignition module 6 months ago.

30

so changed the coil, that did nothing , and have confirmed time and time again, starting fluid definitely does NOT help

70,295

Most likely it's the ignition control module in the distributor. They were known to be troublesome. If it breaks down, you'll get no spark. HTH. -Jim

30

Hey Jim it's got spark. After I changed the coil. Took cap off. Had oil in the cap and rotor. Sprayed off all with brake cleaner and it finally started and barely moved again. It's still acting like it's starving for gas but starter fluid doesn't help Barely gets past 3000rpm.

30

And Jim like I said in earlier post. I replaced module 6 months ago. Not saying that's impossible to go again. Just saying.

70,295

You'll need to find out how the oil is getting into the distributor. I've never heard of that before! Might be time for a new distributor. Perhaps the distributor is cracked and allowing oil to get in there? You definitely should not have oil under the distributor cap. HTH. -Jim

30

Hey Jim Yeah there's no seal. Just a bushing. I've found instances online of people talking about it. It just a n indication motor wear, and distributor wear. Sprayed out the distributor will buy me time. But still needs to fix whatever primary problem is.

70,295

Thanks for the info. I'll definitely keep that in mind. It's a new one on me! -Jim

109,635

Very strange oil in the cap..

30

Still leaves me with the original problem

70,295

I ran this by a guy at work (NAPA) this morning. He agrees that the distributor should be replaced. The only way for engine oil to get under the cap would be a crack in the shaft housing. HTH. -Jim

30

yeah going to replace distributor, but not the primary problem.

30

Ok the answer we've all been waiting for. Fuel pressure at 11PSI and holding even under throttle. That's within SPEC. The car barely gets over 2000rpm.

30

Finally SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! CATALYTIC CONVERTER, was all plugged up. driving me crazy for days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. And all that backpressure probably pushed the oil up in to the distributor too.

70,295

Thanks for letting us know. That's great you found it!! Glad it's fixed!! -Jim